Panhard bar ?s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Panhard bar ?s

howdy,
who runs panhard bars? what are the pros and cons of the panhard bar? is the panhard bar needed? i like to drive my sammi to work every once in a while, and i drive it to 4wheelen. so do i need the panhard bar?

Thanks,
<font color=green>Jimmie & MONZUKI</font color=green>
<font color=blue>God doesn't have to hand out brains everyday.</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:58 AM
Old Hand

Re: Panhard bar ?s

a pan hard bar corrects an incorrect suspension. in some cases it is needed and in others it is not.

I had one, but don't need one now.

my .02

DaveAZ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:33 AM

A panhard bar keeps the axle from moving side-to-side. Some suspensions rewuire it since they have no other means to hold it in place (like a coil system or a 3-link).

I have seen in some cases where trucks are running bigger tires & lift, the front end can push side-to-side, even without power steering. So you're turning the wheel, but instead of turning the front end the springs give. A panhard bar would help with this.

OILBURNER [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:36 PM
lilzeus

I have one and I can honestly say that it has the most dramatic affect on your steering that you will not believe it. My steering was literally tighter than a stock Sami's, we tested that at the Melt. And I run 33x12.50s. If you have a SPOA with shackles in the standard location, up front, then you will freak at how sports-car-like your steering will be afterwards. Shackle reverse people have a little less to worry about, but dont be fooled, their stuff moves when they steer too. That pan hard bar was probably one of the single most dramatic improvements to my Sami, and you can read my spec sheet for yourself! Also, when steering on the trail you will make turns twice as easy as those who are SPOA and dont have some kind of link device like a panhard bar. On the pink trail all the guys were taking multi-point turns while I just turned my wheel and went. Its almost like having power steering. Now keep in mind, all of this dramatic difference talk I am giving you is because I ran SPOA for YEARS and I noticed a HUGE difference.

One draw back though. I have a drop away shackle, the revolver, and the panhard bar limits travel if you have this type of set up. You will still get an awesome amount of droop, dont get me wrong. But when you have a drop away shackle, you want the axle to move straight down a little before it follows the arch of the axle housing. A panhard bar forces it to follow an arch at all times. I probably would have scored a lot higher at the ramp if I had disconnected mine. It was kind of obvious, to me, that my rear suspension was flexing flawlessly but the front wasnt letting my Revolvers open up hardly at all. Oh well, I will keep my panhard bar and disconnect it for the trail when it gets nasty.

ICQ# = 3859170
Complete front axle for sale, with Breeze cross over
http://www.lilzeus.net/axle4sale.htm
http://www.lilzeus.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:13 PM

lilzeus, hit it right on the head....

I too have one on my rig and it is a day and night difference... the only thing is that when you put more lift on
IE( longer shackles, lifted springs, etc on top of the basic spoa) you will need to re-adjust your pan hard bar...

<font color=red>Rich</font color=red><font color=green>_</font color=green><font color=blue>(</font color=blue>
If you do not expect the unexpected, you will not find it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
i run 33"x12.5" on 15"x10" with 2.5" backspacing, RRO's 5.5" spoa, con-fer 1.5" shackles, and rears springs up front. so now it sounds like i will be getting the panhard bar. does the panhard bar mess up aligning my front wheels, or does it just make it harder to align, or just the other way around.

Thanks,
<font color=green>Jimmie & MONZUKI</font color=green>
<font color=blue>God doesn't have to hand out brains everyday.</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:22 AM
Addict

Jimzuki it shouldn't affect your alignment other than to hold your front end in place more solid. Not much to adjust on but wedge shims for caster and toe end because the camber is prety much set from the king pin and non adjustable I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode