OT: How do you get an 18 yr old to listen? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

OT: How do you get an 18 yr old to listen?

Sorry this is so off topic but I needed to vent a little.
My little brother (the 18 yr. old) was up my house all day today helping me work on my sammurai and just hanging out. About 3 or 4 months ago he sold his samurai and bought a 95 civic. It had the v-spec motor in it, a cold air intake, anti sway bars, dropped 2 inches, ect... Well I tried to talk him out of it, but there was no use. He said "I'll drive it responsibly, I know what I can handle." Well to make a long story short, he left my house about 8pm tonight and headed home with our cousin in the passenger seat. At 8:10 PM the sate police call me. They say "Your brother has been in an accident. He's OK but he needs you to pick him up." So I run out the door hop in the XL-7 and head out to the accident.
I get there to find a tree dead centered in the hood the air bags went off. My brother's fine but my cousin is headin for the hospital. The trooper pulls me aside and tells me that he clocked my brother doing 73 in a 45 on RT 11. Then when he pulled out after him my brother turned off onto a rural road that goes through a small colledge. Then he picked up speed to over 80 mph and ran from the trooper. He blows through 2 stop signs then hits the brakes to avoid another car, skids 73 ft. goes off the road, another 100 ft through grass and into the tree. I couldn't beleive it. What was he thinking?
Just a few hours before this happened my brother and I were discussing Speeding and running from the cops. We had agreed that it wasn't worth it. For the next hour at the scene of the wreck I stood there and listened to him talk to the police, waited for our parents, waited for the wrecker, Watched my brother break down emotionally. This car was his dream car. Why didn't he listen?
My cousin is spending the night at the hospital. Looks like he got burned from the air bags and probably whip lash. He is only 15. I hope he will be alright and nothing else is wrong.
I wonder if he'll listen now?

Sorry for the long post just had to get it off my shoulders.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:53 PM

Re: OT: How do you get an 18 yr old to listen?

Jeff, Post all you need to, we're here & listening. Sure can't say how to get someone that age to listen, I have a 21 year old and a 17 year old and its been a long pull. Blessedly, both these young men will survive and the airbags can be thanked for that I suspect. Lucky that somebody that age had afforded a car with bags.

Just tonight I was responding to the question "what is the question every first-time driver want to know the answer?" When I was 16, the only question I had was, "how fast will this 62 Olds go?" No airbags, not even seatbelts but a very fast flying guardian angel.

I know its painful seeing youngsters making mistakes, and we can only pray they live through them and are smart enough to learn from their mistakes. I hope yours learn from theirs. Nate

Hakuna Matata!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:23 PM
lilzeus

Both your brother AND cousin have learned from this. You brother at the expense of hurting the cousin, losing his dream car, and whatever other trouble he is into as a result. The cousin has learned by way of being hurt. Take heart, both will be the wiser now. Most people in life do not have regrets over what they have done but regret what they did NOT do. Almost all of us have learned something the hard way. Thankfully everyone will come out of the experience with their health and their wits.

ICQ# = 3859170
Complete front axle for sale, with Breeze cross over
http://www.lilzeus.net/axle4sale.htm
http://www.lilzeus.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:58 AM

Jeff- sometimes, living n learning is the only way. Thank god that neither your brother or your cousin have serious injuries... I know from living thru a near fatal crash myself two years ago... that when you are that close to dying you realize in a big hurry that the hairs on your head are numbered and that GOD is the only one who deciedes when your time is up. I know that you are wishing that your brother had listened to your advice... but think back to when you were 18...did you listen to anyone? I know i was very hard headed in my earlier days as well. My thoughts are with you.
Rae Champoux

86 SAMMY
33"BFG MTA'S, YJ rear, 3"rears up front, w/breeze droplinks, breeze crossover steering & track bar, DT shocks, locked f&R, 4.16 case, weber, header...HUSBAND BUILT AND WIFE DRIVEN...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:00 AM
MRLoneWolfe

Jeff, Young,dumb, full of C*M,sounds like a lesson WAS learned in this.Unfortunatly I can remember when,myself...Taking all this into concideration BUY A BIGGER BOOT,HIS ASS IS TOO SMALL...IF YOU NEED HELP CALL ME I HAVE BIG FEET!!!BTW-make sure your well centered when lifting foot to ASS!!! good luck!!

88 Sami 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats,.....BET YA I CAN!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:20 AM

Hi Jeff,

I am positive nobody's going to camplain about the ot post. As far as your brother goes, there is only so much you can teach him b4 he has to find out for himself. Kids are stubborn like that. I hope everything works out for your cousin who went to the hospital and your brother as well.

Tom
lilsammy4x4 :P

True character does not show by what you do but what you do when no one is around
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:01 AM
mikrosilakhan

Maybe showing him this will help... Nicest kid in the whole world and a good friend and dead in a split second while riding in a car racing in town.Tell him even if he doesnt care enoguh about his own self try to spare his family and loved ones the greif theyll suffer for the rest of there lives
http://www.geocities.com/ecord.geo/index4/index4-4.htm

Dannys at bottom right

<a href=http://geocities.com/samuraislam/>Suzuki Asylum</a> in the works
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE:
Mike is home this morning. I guess he'll be sore for a while.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what to do with him. On one hand I am glad to see they are alright, and want to be compasionate. On the other I want to kick his arse. All these emosions have been playing on me since last night. I do remember being 18. I remember all the crazy stuff I did. Boy was I nuts. But then at 19 I was becoming a father and everything changed for me. I guess I was Lucky.

Thanks again,
Jeff

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:42 AM

Try to set a good example for him.
Always be there for him when he falls.
It's his life - I know you feel responsible, but he has to make his own way.
Yeah, it Sucks.

Is he going to see any jail time for his actions?
That might be Good for him...

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I am not sure what is going to happen to him. He still needs to finish off high school so I hope Jail time is out of the question. Hopefully he has learned his lesson. I am taking him to court on Wed. for a previous ticket. Who knows what will happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode