Drivetrain noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:09 PM
MrBraindamage

Drivetrain noise

I just installed the GRS 1 gears and I was wondering do they cause any type of noise in the drivetrain? I also had to replace the pinoin bearings but I set the ring gear up buy the directions the best I could or at least my putty patern matched up with the pics pretty good and now the wine sounds like it's comming from my transfer case. I would be thankful for any help and maybe it would save some time, trouble, and money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Re: Drivetrain noise

I just took my 4.16 t-case on it's maiden voyage today. No noise or vibration of any kind in mine. Sorry!

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:09 PM
graydiger

My GR2 case from petroworks wines a little I just assumed that's the way it is.

Early '88 Locked front & rear, lifted, Gr2 case, Winch & bumper. Now it's, I owe I owe so it's off to work I go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Did you replace the bearings in the tcase? If any of them are bad at all, those gears will multiply any problems...
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:15 PM
MrBraindamage

I replaced all the bearings except for a needle bearing that didn't come with the rebuild kit. I noticed a slight wine from the rearend when I decelerate but most of the noise sounds like it's comming from the t-case around 45 mph. Would the t-case magnify noise from the transmisson?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:49 PM
Pooh-Bah

clearence issues?

DougO

88.5 Sami with 35" Goodyear MT/R's

89 Sidekick "my lil rust bucket"
ICQ 52576971
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Take it out and drive it for about 10 miles. Get underneath and check the temperature of the trans , tcase, and rear end. You're probably going to find the rearend is getting pretty warm. It should never get more than 120* or so, any more than that, it's trying to burn itself up. You may not have enough preload on the carrier bearings, and the ring gear is trying to eat itself..
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:51 AM

might sound dumb, but it happened to me.. the person who did the gears that are in my case did not fully torque down the input flange. and there was a little play in the flange.... this caused lots of noise, and it was mostly at 35-40 mph.... I unbent the flange bolt and torqued it down to 180 ft-lbs and reset the bends in the bolt and the
noise was gone and it was way smooth....

<font color=red>Rich</font color=red><font color=green>_</font color=green><font color=blue>(</font color=blue>
If you do not expect the unexpected, you will not find it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:07 PM
MrBraindamage

Tonight I jacked it up and listend with a stethoscope while it was running in gear and my rearend did not make any of the noise, it was comming from my t-case. where I'm not sure but I'll check all my flanges for play. Thanks for the help.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:52 PM

I notice that my Sami clunks a lot when I shift gears and don't feather the clutch a lot. I got down under it and moved the car back and forth a bit in gear. I can see the drive shaft to the rear flex up and down quite a bit and hear the clunking noise. Changing the gear oil didn't change it.

I am a bit concerned about it because I just got my lift kit and don't know if I should put it on or not.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode