IS MY CAM OR VALVES SHOT? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

IS MY CAM OR VALVES SHOT?

MY zuk has been suffering from power loss on top end. First I found out my seconairys were not opening up back in sept. i jumped past everything and now they open at about 2000 rpm 1,2 ,3 gear was fine but 4th stunk and 5th forgetit on 33 x 12.5 ground hawggs well 2 weeks ago put in GRS1 and rear lockers 1530 (awesome every one needs this) i can use 5th some but not like people say i should. Today i pulled the valve cover off and did a compression test my FSM book says 170 psi across the board but i had 120,110,130,120 after doing some adjustments i now have 120,150,150,150 just cant get the other up BUT now i can here the lil click click of the valves does that mean that my valves are shot and i need a new cam have not pulled the cam out to check the lobes but if i have to replace the cam should i replace with the isky cam with or without a head job or should i just replace with a 1.6

[b] <font color=blue>IF YOU CAN'T STOP DUCK AS YOU GO UNDER [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://www.GAZuks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:03 PM

Re: IS MY CAM OR VALVES SHOT?

what are you setting your vavle lash at? you really need to do a leak down test to pin point a loss of comprison before you jump into things .

<font color=red>And yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Warm the engine up, then wire the throttle open all the way. Remove the coil wire from the coil. Now do your compression test. Record all four cylinders. Now, take a squirt type oil can, and shoot some oil in the cylinders. If the compression doesn't come up a lot, it's the valves themselves. If the pressure goes way up at first, it's the bores/rings. If the valves need to be redone, it's going to cost about $300 to do it right. As long as your at it, use the exhaust valves and seats out of a Tracker. The stock cam isn't that bad, the Isky torquer is a lot more lift, and better duration though. Get it direct if you can, it's cheaper. Ask them if you can use the dual springs, not sure if you can, gotta call them this week, I'll ask. By the way, if you have to change the guides, make damned sure that they get reamed out to exactly 7mm, not the English equivalent that most machine shops use because they are too loose! Any q's, let me know...
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I THINK intake was .127 mm AND EXHAUST WAS .209MM COLD TDC

leak down would you maen see how long it holds pressure no i have not done this how long should i let it sit

[b] <font color=blue>IF YOU CAN'T STOP DUCK AS YOU GO UNDER [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://www.GAZuks.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:18 PM

i have a set of leak down gauges that you use with copressed air , form matco works great ! lets you no if its the vavles or pistons or even gaskets and how much flow your lossing.

<font color=red>And yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode