Tires and clutch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Tires and clutch

I was told a 235 was basically the same as a 29'. Is a 245 equal to a 30? Also, I wanted to go to either 235's or 245's to give me a little more meat under the fenders, but still not too bad for daily driver. Can I do this and still run the stock drive train? I am especially conserned with the clutch. Went wheelin' last night and burnt the clutch a couple a times with stock 205's. Should I upgrade to a dual firction or just replace with aftermarket clutch plate?

Tom
lilsammy4x4 ;P

True character does not show by what you do but what you do when no one is around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tires and clutch

Did you run in Lo range? I ran 31's with stock drivetrain for two years and never had a problem. Except 5th gear was all but useless unless the ground was flat. You should be fine unless your trying extreme stuff. But then again I'm always for an upgrade. I'd say stick with the stock if cost is a concern, but if the type of wheelin' you do requires alot of clutch slipping then I'd say go for the centerforce. Good luck.

Go Big! If not in your ride, in your heart!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Hi Jay,

I would like to thank you for your advice. I will probably go with the Centerforce as soon as possible.

Tom
lilsammy4x4 :P

True character does not show by what you do but what you do when no one is around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:50 PM

Try adjusting your clutch befor spending money on a new one.

-Farther
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:09 PM

The short answer to your first question is "NO"

The long answer is still "NO" but here's why:

The diference between 235mm and 245mm is 10 milimeters, but that dimension on metric tires is the width of the tire. 29 and 30 refer to (lets pretend most tire manuufacturers aren't liars) the diameter. Metric tires have a second number that is a percentage of the first to describe the height. So the height of a 235/75 is 75% of 235mm tall. The diference in HEIGHT of a 235/75 against a 245/75 on the same rim will be about 7.5mm for a total diameter diference of 15mm or 1.5cm... That's not even an inch... big whoop!

That said:

I loved 235/75r15 and drove that way for a long time. Longer shackles or the Calmini revese lift both kick some serious butt. 5th gear was still usable (on flat ground) and low was still kinda low. If you are a crawler though, you need gears. I'll bet you were using your clutch to move slower than you could in 4low-1st. If that's true, then I advise to spend the money on gears before anything else. It's hard to smoke a clutch - even a stock one - when your not using it. Give the left foot a rest and your clutch will last too. People do smoke centerforce clutches by trying to imitate an automatics torque converter while climbing. It's an expensive way to get lung cancer if you ask me

Calmini 5", 32" TSLs, daily driver, work in progress...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:40 PM

Before you get too carried away with clutch work, check your firewall where the cable passes through and bolts tight. My Tracker had developed radiating cracks that allowed the cable mount to move and really caused me grief. A local Suzuki mechanic told me afterwards he always checks the firewall before beginning any clutch replacement work.

Good luck!

Hakuna Matata!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode