Question for the guys running pony carbs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:26 AM
MRLoneWolfe

Question for the guys running pony carbs

Just a quick question for the guys running PONY carbs.How did you all make the airbox work?Will the oem air-claeaner fit on the pony and if not..what works?Are any of you guys using fuel regulators for flooding?Ant tips to make my install easy would be helpful.If not I guess ill ask the Canadians....EH?LOL....WOLFE~~~

88 Sami 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats,.....BET YA I CAN!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:45 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Question for the guys running pony carbs

I am running the stock airbox, it just fit fine, but now that I think about it, I did trim the hose back a little to prevent some of the binding. I am running a fuel regulator, recommended by wildweasel, and it also works fine. No flooding out at 0.5 psi off-road, and no problems with power at 5 psi on the road. I have no problems going up or down hills, but it does idle up to about 2,500 when going down steel hills. Plenty of throttle and power for going up, and yesterday I went up some stuff that was vertical.

All in all I LOVE the Pony, it's such an improvement over the stock POS.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:10 AM
shoezuki

I had to "modify" my airbox to get the thing to fit. if you look on http://www.izook.com/tech/ponycarb/ponycarbpg2.htm you will see what I did. Other than that I have had no flooding probs, but I haven't had her in a 40* position yet either

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

no complaints with my pony, didn't even rebuild it and it runs like a top. my 88.5 airbox fit fine but anything lower has to be modified(i think) I just installed a holley regulator with pressure gauge but still haven't tested it yet.don't see why it shouldn't work

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 06:49 PM
MRLoneWolfe

Thanks for the info guys,I had figured it would be a close fit.I will go pick up my regulator tomorrow and get ready to put it on at the end of the week.I want to get the regulator right because some alot of the wheeling i will bw doing will be EXTREMELY vertical.I dont want it to be flooding on me!!!hmmmmm..Jeepn..2000+rpm...Ide look into that!!something does not seem right, now you got me thinkin'if your float is not a little sticky/re-adjustment?Other then the flooding issue,I never heard anyone say anything about rpm change?

31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats,.....BET YA I CAN!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:35 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Naah, I already know what it is. It's the bushing around the throttle plate linkage that's leaking air into the system. I need to have a new bushing made for the carb, but probably won't get to it until this summer sometime. It does come out of it when I go beyond 30 degrees downhill, probably just leaks fuel out of it, so it's not really a problem.

It doesn't flood out by any means, still runs great. I have stopped on steep hills before and it always stays running fine, just idles up high.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:46 AM
MRLoneWolfe

If you should ask Danny L he might have one of those bushings laying around,its a try.....Now that you explained it,it makes sense..not a big deal,just one more thing for the "zuki to do list"!!Ill let ya know how I make out, thanks Mark...........

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Err I think Mark means it idle up when pointed downhill right Mark? By mounting the float to the rear it will have some extra fuel from the floatbowl when going downhill, as long as the regulator is turned down it's not too bad.
Mark check for vac leaks around the base of the carb, mine developed some after 6 months. You should be able to get as low as 600 rpm- 850 easy.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:53 PM

I just got my pony from Tazuki...havn't put it on yet.Sure seems a lot simpler, specially when I removed that pesky throttle letoff gizmo.
Anyone know where I can get a choke cable? Do the autoparts stores carry them?
Johnny C

88 spoa'd sammie flattie(for now)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:14 PM
MRLoneWolfe

I received mine today as well...good question on the choke cable..ill ask...it was suppose to be part of the deal and i didnt get mine either..ill keep ya posted...but im happy!Hopefully he forgot them..in the original post it said choke cable...Cant be that hard to find one..any part store should have them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode