What exactly is"carb icing"? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

What exactly is\"carb icing\"?

Ive heard a few things about it,and was wonderin just what it is.Does it happen only when cold?Is it when it feels as if your choke isnt fully opened?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Skip

Re: What exactly is\"carb icing\"?

Carb icing occurs when the air temperature cool and your engine has not yet warmed up. As the cold air is drawn through the cold metal of the carb and if the humidity is high enough to reach the dew point ice will form on the carb and intake manifold. This is why there is the the preheat tube running from the exhaust manifold to the air filter. There is also water running through the intake manifold and carb to aid in warming the air fuel mixture.

Skip
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 04:58 AM
lilzeus

Carb icing can occure even when the engine is warm. I have had it happen to me before with my Sami and Weber carb. And to answer your question, yes, its as if the choke is still on/closed. As stated, the dew point has a lot to do with it but I think just as important is the temperatures and relative humidity. The icing happened to me the worst when it was somewhat cool(though it does NOT have to be freezing) and pretty humid.

ICQ# = 3859170
Complete front axle for sale, with Breeze cross over
http://www.lilzeus.net/axle4sale.htm
http://www.lilzeus.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've solved my Weber from icing up by fabbing a shroud and bringing in a pre-heat hose to it. I also use a bottle of iso-heet at every tankful of gas. This fixed the icing problem.
Carb icing can occur up to 40*F and high humidity. It even can result in a sticking throttle in more extreme cases.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:39 AM
SPAMurai

i had this problem this winter when it would be like 35 and drizzling outside. recently discovered that the rad hose to the carb was leaking badly and the carb wasn't getting warm. fixed it and no icing since.

steve o'

'87 4-Runner, 31's, Downey headers & 2.5" cat-back, Flowmaster, 3" lift, and locked.
'87 SPAMurai, 30's, 2" lift, to be locked soon.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:28 AM

Yep, I had the problem too, and it happened when it was around 35 degrees and high humidity. I ended up cobbleing my old heat collector from the stock exhaust manifold onto my header, and running the heat tube over to my air filter. I'm running a TD filter (looks like a K&N). Since doing this, I haven't had a problem. Doesn't look too cool, but it gets the job done, and so far, no more icing. In warm weather, I'll just remove this setup.
And like Crow says, a little Heet in the tank doesn't hurt either.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 06:24 PM

I was doing 70 on the highway and gaining altitude when I got the "frost".
Had to turn around and coast and then used my starter till I was walking distance (battery died) from the house. I had the preheat tube though.... Perhaps the door was defective?
Glad to be out of there, now where it's warmer, I am an air ramming fool

Calmini 5", 32" TSLs, daily driver, work in progress...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the handy helps.I found that its my choke.It works fine for a while(open when hot,etc,etc)then for no reason my choke just up and closes.Guess its time for a pony.Ive kinda had it with stock carbs,even after rebuild.I know this has been covered but Are there any special alterations for a pony setup?Dont wanna start new thread,this has been beat to death I know[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode