K&N air filter vs regular air filter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

K&N air filter vs regular air filter

I know that the K&N air filter will increase horse power a little. But money wise, is the K&N air filter a better deal. I know that you can clean the K&N air filter from time to time when it gets dirty. A regular air filter you have to throw it away after so and so miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 06:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: K&N air filter vs regular air filter

I've been running K&N filtres for about 4 years and I have no complaints. They did add a bit of power when we were running the 1300.
ROB

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Veteran

I put an Edelbrock air filter assembly on a small block Chevy once. It was supposed to increase HP and last forever because you could clean it. What they didn't tell you about was the noise! There was a very loud swooshing/hissing sound coming from it all the time. I eventually gave it away.
The K&N has been "proven" to increase performance a little bit, but it is a tad expensive for what you get. Most aftermarket gimmicks are just that -- gimmicks. On the other hand, if you're rolling in money, then go for it! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have one for sale practically new, (5K or less), and when you think they last a million miles, thats not even a dent. PM if interested. $30.. shipping included

"No Soup For YOU!"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 11:04 AM
Addict

I don't think that its too bad of a deal given that the cost of a new paper filter is around $10 (I think). I've been through 2 already - 2 more and the K&N would be paid for.

The $30 price satchmo88 is offering (shipping included) is a pretty good deal.

I'll be back.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 11:18 AM

WTF 10.00 for a paper one, I'll start buying them from you I had to pay $16.00 here for a paper one. I read in one of the off road mags that they dyno tested a drop in replacement KN and it increased HP by like 3hp on a V-8 at the rear wheels. I had one in my YJ it worked good, I know one guy who has one in samurai and he says he really notices a difference in the top end.

Well it didn't look THAT deep! Hold on I'll tow you out I'll get my jeep only strap.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 07:24 PM
Veteran

Question: When you say you've been through two paper filters, what exactly do you mean? Are they getting damaged somehow or just dirty? When mine gets dirty, I blow it out with compressed air and I'm good to go.

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Addict

Just dirty... I blow 'em out too but the element always holds some dirt. I usually keep it until it gets difficult to see light through the creases.

I'll be back.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 09:32 PM
Addict

I forget what I really paid. It has been a long time since I replaced it. Thought is was around $10. --?? Looked it up on http://www.expressautoparts.com today. Saw they are selling them for $9.00

I'll be back.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 12:03 PM
clyde_causey

Let me tell you a story...every man oughtta know. HELP! I'm decomposing!!! Here goes. I had a fast running 2-stroke quad with the stock fuzzy/foam air cleaner. After one weekend running in dusty conditions there was contamination in the intake boot beyond the filter element. After some research I settled on a KN replacement filter. Problem Solved.It Must be cleaned as per directions, to do otherwise will destroy it. You must buy a recharger kit so consider that cost too. I would not be caught off-road without it.

aka "papa"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode