Thanks & More Questions - Suzuki Powered Sport Car - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks & More Questions - Suzuki Powered Sport Car

Thanks everyone for all the information.
Here's a summary of what I think I've got.
The 3 cylinder and 1300/1600 car engines bolt directly to the Samurai transmission and I can get an adapter from Calmini to bolt up a Sidekick/Tracker engine. The Samurai transmission uses a divorced transfer case and is easily adapted to 2WD applications.
The Tracker/Sidekick uses an integral transfer case, uses a dummy transfer case in 2WD applications & is probably too long (& wide)for the Lotus 7 copy.
I have more questions. Can you tell me, or tell me where to find, the weight and power/torque curves for the Samurai & Sidekick engines, and the gear ratios for the sidekick transmission? How tough is the transmission? And do you know of adapters to adapt the engines to other gear boxes?

Several of you asked questions. I wasn't sure the best way to answer. Best combination seems to be a GTi engine and Samurai transmission if I can find the engine, and the transmission ratios work. Starting with the engine/trans from a Samurai and changeing later to a GTi engine is a possibility, but the Samurai engine with the DCOE Webers from Calmini looks so cool that it's tempting to just do that.
IRS or live axle? I'm leaning towards live axle because it's hard to get a back-yard eyeball-engineered IRS to work very well. Also because it's simpler.
RX7 transmission? Sure Does someone make a Sidekick engine to RX7 transmission adapter?
General info. What I've got in mind is a lightweight chrome moly tubing chassis instead of the mild steel the Locost 7 is designed to use. Mostly round because the rectangular stuss us too expensive and I can get pre-fabbed things like shock mounts from race car suppliers instead of the clunky-looking home-made brackets. I'll probably use fiberglass body panels instead of aluminum because I've already got the skills & they don't dent so easily (once read that the owner of an aluminun bodied car winces twice then a bug hits his car, first time when he sees it hit, second time when he finds the dent it made). Probably Chevette spindles & steering rack & Fiero front brakes (same spindles). With an aluminum engine I should be able to keep the empty weight real close to 1,000 lbs.
thanks again
If this works out I'll be back with pictures.
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 09:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Thanks & More Questions - Suzuki Powered Sport Car

hey wild man, that sounds like a hellova project. check back with some pics as you progress, really interesting to me.
BiLLy bOb

Head chef for izook events
Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 11:34 PM

Motorsikle, Here's the link for Kennedy engineering; http://www.kennedyeng.com/. They make adapters to join most any combo you could desire. Check with them for mating the motor to the RX7 tranny. Live axle is certainly the way to go, I would think, Nissan 240SX & Sentra's had them and the RX7 also. I had a look at the Locost website myself the other day, the cars look like great fun. Keep us updated. Send pics!

Hakuna Matata!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ok, for what you're building, and it's weight, here's my idea of a recipe. I'd find an '89-'93 Suzuki Swift GTi engine, running or not. This engine uses a forged steel solid and internally balanced crank, very heavy rods, and free floating pistons. Get a wiring harness from Brent at Trail Tough. Use a Samurai post '88 transmission, as the top ratios between 4th and 5th are pretty close, with 5th being an overdrive (.864). Use a Samurai's clutch, I'm really impressed with the dual friction one from Petroworks. If you don't want to run an injected and computerized motor, I do have a full recipe for an 8-valve head combo, but it's pretty expensive to put together. I know most think an 8v can't flow as much as a 16v, but to give you some idea, I'm running a 38mm syncronous carb and it's awesome. If you do run the injection, there are a lot of add on chips, turbo's, ect. for that engine available. Here are the trans ratios for the Samurai trans:
1st-3.652
2nd-1.947
3rd-1.423
4th-1.000
5th-0.864
Rev.-3.466
The Samurai's transfer case uses a factory reduction in hi, to compensate for the small engine. The output ratio is 1.409 in hi, and 2.268 in low. Hope this helps,
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the information everyone. This is great.
Jerry H
Woodinville WA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode