2" Backspaced wheels turning clearance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 07:34 PM
pugrocker

2\" Backspaced wheels turning clearance

Hey all....

I am getting 2" backspaced wheels for my sammy and I was wondering if I have to move my front axle forward to clear the wheel wells / fenders, etc. on full turns....I will only be running 30 X 9.5 tires and I am SPUA. I was thinking that I would have to move it forward at least 3/4" or so.....thanks.

~pUg~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 09:31 PM
Veteran

Re: 2\" Backspaced wheels turning clearance

Puggy, I have the exact same setup on my ride, with 3" lifted springs. I had to pound my front wheelwell seams flat, and grind off the sharp corners from the bottoms of the wheelwells where they make the transition to the rocker panel area. I also had to trim my Smittybilt front bumper ends about one inch to keep the tires from rubbing them. It was a bit of work, but I did NOT have to move the axle forward. HTH.

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 09:57 PM
pugrocker

thanks MrSurly - I just ordered the spidertrax <font color=red>Spidertrax Spring Relocation Pads (http://www.spidertrax.com/suspension_srp.htm)</font color=red> and I will move the axle up 1" so I do not need to hammer and grind anything. I just hope (and I was told it won't) have any negative affect on my steering.

BTW - we have a very similar set up....got a picture of your zuk? I am running 3" nationals with revolver shackles and 30 x 9.5 MTRs, D-Techs, blah, blah....

~pUg~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 10:06 PM

You really didn't need to go the expense of buying the spring relocation pads. The easiest way to move your axle forward is to redrill your spring perch and ubolt plates.

Tanzuki

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Sure thing Pug! I've attached a pic with the "problem spot" circled in red. I was considering moving my axle forward too, I just didn't want to spend the money on the relocation pads (and the driveshaft spacer that would also be required.) The budget 3" lift kit I bought was supposed to clear 30's without modifications, but that little seam bit into my tires as I was pulling the Zuk out of the garage! I'm guessing it was because of the 2" BS wheels I'm running.
Our setups are similar, but I'd like to ask you what shackles you're using, and the part number of your Doetsch-Tech front shocks. Someone with a bad reputation on this board sold me shocks that were too short to use with the 3" National springs.
By the way, those Breeze shackles in the picture are for sale if anyone's interested (I'm using longer ones now.) I also have a pair of DT3112 stock-length front shocks that need to go, and an OEM front sway bar with Calmini's extended mounts & poly bushings, and a pair of OEM front parking light guards, and a pair of unbent stock transfer case arms. PM me if interested.

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-697209-tireside1.jpg (33.6 KB, 11 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 10:11 PM
Veteran

Another pic:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-697211-smzuk1.jpg (56.0 KB, 8 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

How much do you want for the front OEM parking light guards?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:45 AM

MrSurly: I would be interested in the CalMini extended mounts & poly bushings. Does the poly bushings fit the OEM sway bar or just the CalMini aftermarket bar?

-Farther
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:01 AM
Veteran

Tim, I'm asking ten bucks for the guards, plus postage.
I've attached a picture.

Farther, the extended mounts fit the OEM sway bar. The poly bushings are on the top where the mounts bolt onto the frame pins. You use the OEM rubber bushings that go around the sway bar. Is that what you're looking for?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-697529-guard1.jpg (42.0 KB, 4 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:08 AM

Ya, I am interested in the sway bar mounts. With everybody removing their sway bars, I would imagine there is not much interest in the drop links. How much do you want?

You wouldn't happen to have the CalMini rear sway bar would you?

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode