To fix a winch... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To fix a winch...

I have a nice large winch that works just... too fine to be exact. When I wire the solenoid and then apply the positive lead to the solenoid, the winch activates as if the remote is triggered. The remote is not even attached.

I know I have everything wired correctly to the solenoid, and from the solenoid to the winch. I can reverse the pos and neg and have my winch reel itself in. But it is drawing power when it shouldn't.

Is there something that could short inside the winch itself that would cause this? Isn't the winch just a group of gears without the solenoid? Can I assume something is grounding inside the solenoid and replace the solenoid?

It is a Superwinch X-6c k lb winch if that helps in diagnosis.

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: To fix a winch...

I'll give you $50.00 for it as-is.

True adventure is the journey, not the destination.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 07:20 AM
weirdwillie

It's difficult to diagnose from a quick e-mail since so many things could be wrong. Maybe the following will help: 1) Did you check the continuity of the solenoid(s) when no power is applied? Maybe the solenoid is bad and is stuck in the closed position even when power isn't applied. 2) Is the hot lead to the solenoid(s) hot all the time? I assume that it should only be hot when the switch is turned on.

I have a Warn 8000 so I don't know if this applies to the Superwinch, but the winch itself has a bunch of planetary gears attached to a sealed electric motor. There is no control circuitry in the motor itself. Therefore, I think the only thing that could short out and cause the motor to run is in the control box. If the motor itself shorted, I would imagine it just wouldn't work or it would heat up and destruct when power is applied via the control box.

I hope this helps.

Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>If the motor itself shorted, I would imagine it just wouldn't work

That is my logic, but I know nothing of winches, have never opened one up myself. So I didn't want to assume anything first.

I don't have a meter so I have not been able to hit the solenoid and check for continuity, but based on the fact that the motor should not engage until the remote is plugged in and the trigger squeezed, I again assume that something in the solenoid is frozen/shorting.

I can reverse the leads and get the winch to reel in and out, but I cannot get it to stop one or the other without disconnecting the battery altogether.

I'm wondering if maybe something in the solenoid is siezed from being out in the elements. I have had to clean the contact points on this unit constantly over its life span. Could perhaps somwething have rusted insde the solenoid, say the positive contact that runs from the remote plug to the solenoid itself have corroded inside, causing it to freeze in the "on" position?

/shrug

I build web pages, not winches, what do I know? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:36 AM

It sounds like the solenoid switch is fused in the close position. You may be able to fix it by tapping it with a small hammer. It sounds funny but I have witnessed it working.

True adventure is the journey, not the destination.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Seen it done it, believe it. Just wanted to get some advice from others before i started tapping away at it, in case there was something I jsut didn't know about it.

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode