Off Roading Forums banner

in need of efi help

437 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  porschefixer 
#1 ·
i am in need of some help. my samurai is running a complete gti engine with efi and starts and runs great with gobs of high end power...until recently.

the problem as of three days ago is it is nearly imposible to start. when it does start it idles perfectly, but if i hit the accelerator, it tries to die and it will unless i let up on the throttle. it seems like teh harder i hit the throttle, the more it chokes out the engine. however if i very SLOWLY increse the throttle, it will rev up ok. the fuel pump i am using is a high pressure in-line pump out of a v8 ford efi pickup and it is relatively new as is teh battery and starter. this set up worked great up until this point.

i know most of you do not run the same set up as i do, but maybe someone has ran into the same sort of problem before with efi. i am just completely puzzled at this point and would like some other ideas.

thank you for any ideas, jerry

#4 ·
thanks, i will check the throttle position sensor with an ohms meter this weekend. i have never had to adjust it since it came out of the car, so it is still adjusted as it was at the factory. i have a spare i can toss on as well. efi is great when everything works right, but when something goes wrong....man it gets frusterating.

jerry

#5 ·
Check fuel pressure, return lines?
Did you pull the check valve outta the return line?
Hmm...

93 Tracker, deceased
87 Samurai.. 1.6 YAHOOO It RUNS!!
88 Samurai.. doesn't run, all rotted

#6 ·
mini4x, yes i did pull the check valve from the return line. thank you for pointing that out though because i think that is the single most over looked thing in a zuk efi swap.

since it is a high pressure fuel pump i would have to borrow a pressure tester from my buddy at the ford garage, as the only one i have is for low pressure. if the TPS checks out ok, i will go ahead and check the fuel pressure. thanks for all of the pointers.

jerry

#7 ·
Almost all efi engines only look at a 2 or 3 sensors when starting......the most important on being the coolant temp sensor,then the throttle position sensor,then maybe the airtemp sensor......That is if it has spark.If not start with crank/cam sensor's and check coil,then move on to the fuel control sensors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.