Transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transfer case

I have been wondering what I can do to transfer case I already have to reduce the gears or out put. I know I can buy a gear reduction, but can I move gears or weld gears for the same or near same effect. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Transfer case

Well, I guess since nobody is answering you, this is one I know the answer to: NOPE.

I'm an asian hick.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:22 PM

Breeze makes a welded gear set for like $200.00, I don't know what else you would need to install them.

Well it didn't look THAT deep! Hold on I'll tow you out I'll get my jeep only strap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 09:53 PM
lilzeus

Im with 1.3 on this one, no, you cant. You cant just move gears here and there and weld stuff. These things have to be made VERY precise, nothing a person can do at home.

ICQ# = 3859170
Complete front axle for sale, with Breeze cross over
http://www.lilzeus.net/axle4sale.htm
http://www.lilzeus.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 10:41 PM

I think what you're thinking of is the early rock-lobster sets that used high range from a samurai case, and low range from an SJ case(I think thats the right way around) The way it was done was to cut the 2 intermediate gears, and weld the resulting 1/2s together - as stated, the tolerances are pretty darn critical - IF you're an A1 type welder, you can probably get away with it ( especially if its a trail only rig) otherwise, save yourself major headaches, and just buy a pre-made gearset!

FWIW - I've welded up a few driveshaft flanges to make custom divorced case conversions this way with good results, so it IS possible for a DIY'er.....but I wouldnt recommend trying it on expensive or hard to find parts.

chris

91 Niva 'Cossack', MB 240D, 4 speed auto, ~88:1 low, 30x9's, coil sprung, 830 RTI.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget that beyond the precision machining and alignment tolerances within 10thousandths of an inch, you must fabricate and use a compression jig so the welded pieces cannot move. A TIG weld on the gears is also the proper way to do things.... NOT stick or MIG!

You can get quality manufactured and lifetime guaranteed 4.16 gear kits for as little as $399. Pretty darn cheap when compared to lower gears for any other 4x4 on the market.

http://www.rockyroadoutfitters.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 10:13 AM

wow 10thousandths of an inch one shop that I work at milled wood to within .002 had to use it the same day or it would start to swell and not fit into the fixtures but I agree the T case gears would be difficult to make for most I have a very nice machine shop at my disposal and I still bought mine

we are holding your life hostage if you ever want to see it again send me $1,000,000 in small unmarked bills
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 02:48 PM

glen - I agree entirely thats its cheaper, easier ( and safer 8^D) for most people to buy a gearset - but 10 thou? are you talking runout, shaft misalignment or what? Put bluntly, the tolerance on the bearings inside the case isnt that close, so even if you DO machine to that tolerance, its wasted. I've built modifed transmission flanges, spliced t-case gearsets, and done live axle-to-ifs housing conversions using nothing more than (new) bearings, and a dial indiactor to set them up, and I've never had a problem with them : the precision welding required for a balanced assembly is considerably harder than the physical setup/tolerances.

so where does the 0.001 tolerance cone into play?

Chris

91 Niva 'Cossack', MB 240D, 4 speed auto, ~88:1 low, 30x9's, coil sprung, 830 RTI.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 05:32 PM

The welded cluster gears on the market have about .004"-.007" runout. The tenthousandth (.0001") tolerances apply to making
new gears,not welding them together.
Here's the roblobster article. http://redgum.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~jeff/xfer2.htm

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode