Ever wonder why a Niva guy's on the Sammy board? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Ever wonder why a Niva guy\'s on the Sammy board?

This is a newspaper clipping from Australia. Despite what this says, I've seen other snippets that report the new model going to Aus, Africa, and eventually Canada. no idea as to the truth of it, but I've also heard the eventual plan is that it'll be integrated as The GM/Suzuki/Lada entry level 4x4

Chris

Look Out, It's Lada! - 28/06/01

Well, very nearly. General Motors and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development are joining forces with AvtoVAZ, the company better known for Lada/Zhiguli cars, to build a brand-new factory for a model to be known as the Chevy Niva, using a Russian-developed platform.
GM and AvtoVAZ will each have a 41.5% share in the $332 million project, with the bank taking 17%. The factory will be built in the Samara region (hence the Lada Samara of old) at the town of Togliatti which was named after the one-time Italian Communist Party leader Palmiro Togliatti. The first Ladas to arrive in this country, of course, were essentially cast-off Fiat designs built on production lines transferred from Italy.

Production is due to start next year, and by 2004 the factory should be in full swing. The Chevy Nivas will be exported to Western and Central Europe, and to Mexico, although not to the United States or Canada.

There will be home-market sales too, of course, and what particularly interests GM is the fact that Russia is one of the few countries with car and commercial sales above a million per year. Last year, sales totalled something like 1,107,000, and 969,000 were of Russian-built vehicles.

91 Niva 'Cossack', MB 240D, 4 speed auto, ~88:1 low, 30x9's, coil sprung, 830 RTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:32 PM

Re: Ever wonder why a Niva guy\'s on the Sammy board?

Should be an interesting ride! Chris, is that the same Niva that you sent me a pic of? Looked pretty cool. Keep us updated :-)

Steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:36 PM
lilzeus

I dont even know what a Niva is! Is it a Suzuki or a Chevy? Certainly Suzuki and Chevy have built some vehicles together but what is a Niva? Is it a car or a 4x4?

Signed,
confused

ICQ# = 3859170
Complete front axle for sale, with Breeze cross over
http://www.lilzeus.net/axle4sale.htm
http://www.lilzeus.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That little blue toy in his post is a Niva.

What has Chevy designed on the Tracker other than the Bowtie on the grill?

Neal the Zukiguy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

The ones like mine are a '2121' model, which was produced from 78/79 - 1997. the one GM is buying into ( with/without suzuki) is the '2123' model. Yes, hemo, its the one I sent you a pic of - I'll have to attahc a pic, 'cause I'm having problems giving URLs from the BBS to Yahoo.ca.

Mechanicals, as I understand them, are the same as the '97 models: 5 main bearing 1.7 SOHC. Rochester port injection ( ?!), 5 speed autovas tranny 0.79 OD - 3.667 1st, FULL TIME gear drive transfer case w/ 1.2:1 high, and 2.2:1 low. Autovaz/Fiat 6.1" axles, w/ 3.9:1, 4.1:1, or 4.3:1 gears. 4 wheel coils, IFS/live rear. front disks/rear drums.

The ONLY model I've seen is the 5 door configuration, in which case it will genuinely seat 4 adults w/ about 20" of cargo area behind the back seat.rear seat folds/tumbles for cargo. internal capacity 1400 lb + driver & passenger. Not sure about the towing capacity on the newer models - they weigh more, so it might be they can tow less - the ones like mine are rated as 1500lbs un-braked, and 3000lb tow w/ a braked trailer.

they've been available as Lada's in Russia for a couple of years, and are supposed to be a major step up in comfort over the older models.

Chris

91 Niva 'Cossack', MB 240D, 4 speed auto, ~88:1 low, 30x9's, coil sprung, 830 RTI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-693606-2123.jpg (11.0 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 02:50 PM
lilzeus

Not sure. Have to look at a sticker from one that was bought new. Most tell you what % of the vehicle is foreign parts. Im sure not all the parts on the Tracker are Suzuki.

ICQ# = 3859170
Complete front axle for sale, with Breeze cross over
http://www.lilzeus.net/axle4sale.htm
http://www.lilzeus.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 03:03 PM

Yes, it is true, the tracker produced by Suzuki will become the Chevy Niva vehicle. One interesting note, (my wife follows the Russian news since she is from the Ukraine) once GM and Lada settled on the deal to produce the GM Niva, Lada took the production space that they had reserved (which GM assumed would be used for the old Niva which is not a competitor for market share with the GM Niva) and designed an all new even more advanced Niva than what they contracted to produce with GM, and will be selling it all over the European market. Needless to say, poor old GM was very pissed that a bunch of Russians one uped them! My wife was dying laughing over the news article.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chris,
I never wondered why you were here !! I saw a Niva in Canada when I went up to get the LWB. I think it's a shame that they won't be coming here to North America, except for Mexice. What's up with that ???
ROB

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

TGT - thats news even to me!! The 2123, and 2125 are the newest models I'm aware of, and so far as I know, both were offered to GM. Do you( or your wife) happen to know the relevent model numbers for the new Chevy Niva VS the new Lada Niva? I actually keep in touch with a number of Niva owners in Russia, so if you can get the model numbers, I should be able to post pics here for everyone to see what you're talking about. ( curious as hell myself, actually!!)

Chris

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Robzuk - as far as I know, the lack of Nivas in the US is 100% political: Nivas started production in 78/79 - not exactly the best time for US/Russian relations. Worse, and please dont take it personal, US opinion of Russian stuff is pretty low...in many cases its pretty well deserved, but the Niva is maybe the exception that proves the rule. If you will, its the same thing German imports went through after WWII, and that Asian imports went through in the '70's.

For those interested, I know of a handful of nivas LEGALLY imported into the US in the past 4-5 years. They're now considered a legal import, but are classed as 'special interest vehicles', and its a slow process, that varies state-to-state. interestingly, there's a DMV code in California for them now - go figure, they actually passed CARB testing, emissions, etc!!

FWIW, officially, Lada never even imported into Canada as the market was too small. A Canadian entepeneur was interested, set up 'Lada Canada', and imported them privately. Frankly, it was a 1/2 assed affair, and the corporate entity wasnt interested in dealing with 'minor' things like warranty issues. in 1997, when the models changed, and they would have had to invest big $$$ to get the new ones certified here, the company closed up. Fortunately, most owners bought them specifically because they're simple, and the parts are all metric standard, so lack of dealers hasnt killed them all.

These new models, along with the Autovas/GM deal are a corporate attempt at multinational marketing. With luck, what they'll do is start the process in coutries that have traditionally had good sales, and will move into 'new' markets like Canda, and the US later.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode