Misfiring at idle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Misfiring at idle

I noticed this weekend my 1.3 was missing at idle speed and determined the number 3 cylinder was not firing even though it is getting spark to the plug. I removed the plug and it was not fouled and there were no signs of oil in that cylinder. I put in new spark plugs and swapped the rotor cap and wires with another engine. It is still missing and there is no change in engine tone when the #3 wire is removed. This 1.3 doesn't smoke, leak, or use oil, cranks good, still accelerates normally for a stock carb and will run 75 mph even now, but that cylinder will not fire while idling and it sounds pitiful. It will even continue to run at idle speed without dying with only two plug wires on it. There is no play in the distributor shaft and adjusting the timing did not help. I haven't pulled the valve cover. Any of you mechanics know what this problem sounds like? A stuck or burnt valve maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:10 AM

Re: Misfiring at idle

It sounds like you have a burnt valve, or maybe a tight valve, which will cause a burnt valve, or worse. You need to get a compression guage on it to verify, and compare it with the other cylinders. That will tell you the quickest what is going on.

Jim

88 sami 4.5 spoa. Breeze shackles, rears up front, cjs rear, 33 12.50's, Breeze crossover steering Toyota hemi engine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 10:14 AM
mike shannon

Re: Misfiring at idle

get off your a$$ and put in that 1.6 16v i sold you. but do as the post above say and check the compression. then pull the valve cover off and back the valves off and try the compression again. i have seen one that the ex valve was just to tight and caught it in time. just readjusted it and it was fine. i have a 91 here at the house that has a bad exhaust valve on #3 also. it turned out to be burnt. i have to pull the head and get it redone. the compression on it was 130 for 1,2,4 and 70 on 3. if your compression checks out then go to the injector if it a f.i. mike

zuks and toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode