Thornbird owners - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thornbird owners

OK
now I know alot of people here don't like Thornbirds,but I'm putting a set on my zuk (33x12.50) I wanted to know what the owners of these tires thought and not the.... My brothers, girlfriends, uncles, stepmothers had 'em and... I don't wheel in mud or snow, just rocks. What pressure do you run on the trail and street? Anyone groove the center treads?

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
http://www.zukin.homestead.com/main.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Thornbird owners

I had a set on my toyota pick up 8 to 10 off-road and 25 to 30 on road, didn't get to play with them too much, the truck was stolen in three weeks, but they where loud, the large lugs would grabb about anything, rocks, mud, small animals. Be carefull, with your springs they might hit and grabb them too.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to run a 15x8 wheel with a 2" backspace, That should keep 'em out of the springs.....I hope!

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 10:34 PM

The only good thing I have to say about thornbirds was that they would pull me up out of the ruts alot easier. Don't make no difference airn down the sidewalls don't flex well. They went ok in the sand as long as you didn't turn, if you turn the lugs dig in and you can get into trouble real easy. Absolutley scary on steep muddy decents, you can't hardly clean the mud out of em, I've driven home from the trail and still had mud stuck in the treads. Well anyway good luck with em hope you got a good deal.

Well it didn't look THAT deep! Hold on I'll tow you out I'll get my jeep only strap.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 10:48 PM
MRLoneWolfe

Heres my scoop: I HAD a 29" thornbirds on my truck when i bought it.They were extremely noisey and had no flex for the type of crawling im doing here in the east.They spun on wet grass and and seemed o.k. on pavement that was wet.I really didnt care for them they are VERY tough(and heavy)as well.Maybe on slickrock they would be ok(guys out west chime in here).I like the way they look..thats it!Maybe they will be good for you.I dont know what type of terrain your running on..mine were terrrible in the mud too.Even aired down I thought they were real stiff at 7-8lbs..Well what ever you decide..good luck.

88 Sam I AM(AKA-THROTTLE MONGER)- 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats,.....BET YA I CAN!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Well I can't complain. I got a set of five with over 60% tread for $100 and they were just siped last month. I'm going to give them a shot, if they don't work for me I'll put my 31" BFG AT KOs back on. I'm thinking 3-4 PSI for the rocks might flex 'em a bit and give me a LARGE footprint.

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 04:28 AM
zukikid

i have heard good things about thorns on the rocks after they have been siped...as for as the wheel'n i do in indiana...loose dirt hill climbs,mud holes,slick reveanes,creek bed crossings...well just ask the bedford boys...they wheel the area i do...and don't like them at all.
zukikid

wow ...it still fits out the garage !!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:08 AM
MRLoneWolfe

You can air them to zero and those side walls will NOT flex..ill take my MTR'S anyday,now they flex!

88 Sami 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats,.....BET YA I CAN!!!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 02:19 PM

I had a pair for just 4 months and I hated them. Really no flex. I usually ran mine at 3 to 4 psi on the trails. They didn't seem to grip very well on the rocks. They didn't clean out very well either.
One good thing they do make a good looking street tire.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode