More on the Saab V4 swap. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

More on the Saab V4 swap.

The Saab V4 is made by Ford and has been around for a number of years. The motor is the same as the Ford V6. I spoke to one of the leading speed shops for Saabs in the USA and he also owns the highest powered V4 in North America if not aboard.

Why did I think about using this motor? Well it has the same bolt pattern as the Ford V6 used in samurai swaps. Or so it is suppose to have the same bolt pattern. The motor can be built to a 2 ltr motor. There are speed parts out for this motor. The motor should fit better then the V6. Also the power is similar to the Samurai motor. He dynos them out and he said they are consistant at 61hp. They are very reliable motors and can last up to 200,000 miles easy. They use a simese exhuast port that can be modified into dual port heads. There are a number of things that can be done to this motor.

Now for the bad news. The motor has some fualts which do not allow it to perform very long when you get about 125hp. That is about as hard as you would push the motor and expect it to live very long. This fellow has his tuned out to about 180hp and he has to rebuild the motor after about 5 to 7 races. He also said the motor would perform at a higher rpm then expected. He pushed his to just above 8000rpm. The bottom end is to weak to handle the power gains above 80hp. You would have to nitride the crank to strenghtened it. Anyway there are a number of things that pop up when you get above 100hp that far out weigh any good. I just wanted to pass on information as I find it. Being I brought this V4 motor a while back as a possible solution for motor swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 04:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: More on the Saab V4 swap.

cool, ive heard of ford v4s, but i thought that was a long ways back...

what did they come out of? cool, keep us posted..

Put on your seatbelt... I wanna try something.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:23 PM
Addict

I have never herd of that motor before, kinda interesting.

As to fitment of the ford v6, it fits perfectly needing no modifications, just bolt the motor mounts on and your set, i do not see how a v4 would fit any better other than having more room for a radiator. getting the tranny to fit is the problem. not a big problem, but you do have to widen the trany tunnell, make a short jackshaft and move the tcase back a couple of inches.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 05:24 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Good info, thanks for the heads up. There are a few Saab dealerships up here, that deal in used cars, and it leads me to wonder. How would a turbo swap go? My brother has a rusted out Saab 9000 Turbo (which has a new turbo) that he was looking at junking. I'm not looking to do the swap, but it does open some possibilities.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 08:15 AM

Not "exactly" on the same subject here, but didn't someone produce a V-4 engine called a "Scat-Four" or something like that? Seems it was a Chevy V-8 design with the front 4 cyliners lopped off. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I remember doing a search a while back, but didn't turn anything up. The comments about a weak bottom-end made me think of this. It would be pretty cool if somebody could pull that one off!

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scat sales a V4 that has been out for a long time. Im an Air cool'd Vdub nut. Anyway that motor will cost you an arm and a leg and anything else you can think of. You'll have an easy 6000 into it.

The Saab V4 is made by Ford. They have been running that motor for two or three decades.
I thought about using a Saab 1982 Turbo motor. But then you have to make an oil pan and pickup tube. I didnt want to get into that much stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode