steering problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

steering problem

A while back I had broken a birfield in a big hole.Soon after,I replaced both sides and added Breeze birfield rings to them.(it was harder to turn after the instalment)Soon after that,I had created a crossover stearing system and began testing it last week.When I installed it,I positioned the tires straight and found the center of the steering wheel motion at 1.75 turns.Centered the steering wheel and made my cross over link and installed it.With the front on jacks I have the same turning radus both directions.On the trail I have very little left hand turning and turning itself is harder than it was before my first birfield break.If I dump the clutch and spin the tires a little it does turn a little more than a straight up rolling turn.Does anyone have any clues to what is causing this?No power steering is one thing but 5 and 6 point turns on what should be a 2 point turn is for the birds.
Attached is a pic of the crossover under a flex situation(not the best pic but it gives you an idea)

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/countyrecreation
Yes, I am one of the Bedford Boys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-692632-123.jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 08:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: steering problem

What does it do with the front end free and on pavement? Is your suspension real soft and loose? It may just be pushing the axle to one side when you turn the steering. I'd say get a panhard bar. Got any better pics of the underside?
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 08:29 PM

Is your axle moved forward. If it is could your steering be binding under flex at the steering box.....

Well it didn't look THAT deep! Hold on I'll tow you out I'll get my jeep only strap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

On pavement it drives very easy.As long as I am not locked I am ok.I did find I am 1/4 turn off center at the wheel and the adjuster nut and screw on top of the steering box was almost out(I did tighten it back up).I have a bar coming with heims to put on,that is also adjustable.Do you have any other ideas?Know of any other Sammys for sale?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the turning is only harder AFTER the birfield ring install, I would guess that the ring itself is binding up inside the knuckle. You might pull the axle and see if there are scraping marks inside the knuckle and potentially do some clearancing.

http://www.rockyroadoutfitters.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 10:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GRUMPY,I did have to clearence my Birfelds on my zook and if that is the setup you got from me then I think you will need to do that.I used a 4" grinder on mine,stuck it in the hole,rotated 360 degrees and was done.If you need help ,let me know,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

how much needs clearanced off?I don't want to go to far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode