Tracker clutch adjustments - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Tracker clutch adjustments

Ok, when I bought the Tracker in October, I bought a new clutch cable right away as the one in the car seemed to be very tight. New cable and adjustment by the Haynes manual seemed to get me going perfectly. I did adjust the clutch pedal throw to come a bit higher off the floor than stock, simply to ensure I was getting enough "throw". Its only 1/4 to maybe 1/2" higher than before.

Now the problem is getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, nearly an every day occurence trying to get on and off an AF base with all the security checks. A couple blocks off that and my clutch is heating up so badly that it drags the motor below idle speed and getting the tranny into and out of gear gets nearly impossible. Tonight it was so bad due to a snow storm that I nearly couldn't get home.

I adjusted the clutch adjustment and the bellcrank just 2-3 weeks ago, and had to do it again tonight after shoveling out the driveway. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to be buying a clutch pack ASAP? I'm not riding the clutch while driving and I try to slip it out of gear withthe pedal out whenever possible while waiting at a light or in line, but I don't know what else to try short of new parts at this point.

Hakuna Matata!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 03:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tracker clutch adjustments

yeah my clutch is funny 2. it slips REALLY bad goin uphill, like if im goin uphill at like 30 and shift into 3rd and get on it,it just slips,does this mean it needs 2 be adjusted or is it just shot{hasnt been adjusted scence i got it last year at this time} and if it is in need of adjusting how do i do it, like i know where i have to adjust at but what do i do just turn out the nut till it engages all the way? i duno i never had 2 do this before{all my other ones were hydraullic}

93 tracker 3in body lift 31/10.50Son 15x8 hope 2 b gettin more soon!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

The adjustment for the clutch is just under the starter on the bellcrank that the cable passes through. According to my Haynes book, there should be 1-2 milimeters of free play at the bellcrank lower end. That's not very much play.

You can adjust how far through the bellcrank the cable end goes at the rigid mounting point near the motor mount, Do this if the cable end, where it threads through bellcrank is at either extreme end of the threaded portion of the end.

If your clutch is slipping badly enough that the engine is revving going up hill as described, then either your clutch cable adjustment is too tight, that is, no free play, or your clutch is shot and its time to replace it. Seems to be about $90 on Ebay all the time for clutch, pressure plate & throwout bearing.

I adjusted mine tighter last night and its working ok now, though I think I damaged the shifter to tranny connection somehow as today it feels loose and sloppy. Hopefully nothing that can't be fixed without too much trouble.

Hakuna Matata!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

You guys aren't being much help here... Feel free to jump in here anywhere!

On another note, I have done something bad to the shifter. Its been too cold to tear it open, but I think I must have damaged one of the 2 pins the shifter slides past and that holds the cap lock in place. It still shifts but sloppy and loose and doesn't "notch" into gear like it did before.

Hakuna Matata!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

All Right! I've been on my back under this this Tracker for the 2nd time in a week with a clutch that tightens up and won't allow the pressure plate to release the clutch disc. I'm grouchy!

I did notice tonight after backing off the adjusting nut that there is almost 1 or 1-1/4 inch of free play in the arm before coming up against the throwout bearing. (I had adjusted the nut in so far that I had to readjust the cable securing nuts farther back to make room to adjust it.

So, two things; first, shouldn't the coil spring around the throwout shaft push (or pull) the arm back to a resting position? There shouldn't be that much free movement in the arm should there? It seems there should be spring tension if there is any movement before contacting the bearing. Right now I have the cable adjusted to pull the arm up almost against the throwout bearing, but there isn't any tension pulling backwards against it.

Anybody got a spring?

Secondly, (and I apologize for being so lengthy) I've ordered a clutch kit from a seller on Ebay. Their help desk claims there is 2 sizes of clutch discs, 7 & 7/8" or 8 & 1/2" but cannot tell me how to determine which I have without tearing it down. I can't leave it down for a week waiting after measuring it and responding...

Can anybody tell me how to tell what size I have without tearing it down?

Hakuna Matata!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:40 AM

If your Tracker is a 90, then the 7 7/8" is the stock clutch size. The 8 1/2" clutch will work as well, but you must resurface the flywheel flat (a good idea to do anyway when changing a clutch).

Old Zukes don't drip oil, they mark their spot!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
RoBeRt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

I need some help here! OK, over the weekend I replaced the clutch, pressure plate & throwout & pilot bearings. Everything came out looking as good as the new parts I bought, obviously these parts had not been installed too long. I did have the clutch faced.

I also found that the throwout shaft return spring was NOT correctly installed over the arm and so was not pulling the throwout bearing back. I ended up installing a small hose clamp around the shaft on the inside of the bellhousing to keep the shaft from pulling out of the spring side bushing.

So it all went back together relatively ok though we did hang the tranny 3 times. After hanging it the first time & leaving it overnight, I pulled it just to be sure everything was in order. The 2nd time the tranny wanted to fall off the jack and it went up and bolted ok the 3rd time.

Put everything back together and tried to adjust the cable. Pedal is way to close to the floor and not lifting the pressure plate when the cable end adjustment is made by the book. Cranking much more tension into the cable brings the pedal up and works the pressure plate but leaves zero slack. Its actually pulling tension and moving the bellcrank arm forward to get the cable throw to pick up the pressure plate.

And the starter is growling now instead of spinning like it did pre-clutch change. I removed it, floor checked it, then reinstalled as its ok on the floor.

So what the *#@&% did I do wrong?

On top of everything else, it won't run right now either. It cranked up as normal Sat AM when trying to get it on the dolly for just a couple seconds, then died. There's spark at the coil & plugs and fuel seemed to pour out the TBI return line, but it sure doesn't seem to be firing at all.

Please advise soonest. Carpooling with the spousal unit really grinds!

Hakuna Matata!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Its fixed!

After spending all last weekend wrestling with the clutch change and finally giving up and dragging it to my neighborhood garage, my Tracker is back on the road again. It cost me too much $$ but I couldn't afford to not have it either.

What the mechanic found was that the new clutch plate was not exactly the right one, having 6 springs instead of 4 and that it would NOT slide all the way up the tranny's input shaft. (Something I forgot to check.) Reinstalling the used clutch which appeared brand new anyhow, fixed that right up.

Additionally, he discovered the real source of the problem and fixed it. The hole through the firewall where the clutch cable passes was torn in 2 places, nearly an inch long allowing to firewall to flex everytime the clutch pedal was pushed in. The fix was to install a plate, 1/8" thick over the broken hole, fasten it to the firewall and then put correct sized holes in the plate. It seems to be working perfectly now.

Food for thought if you have a clutch problem that doesn't respond to the usual repairs.

Hakuna Matata!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode