limited slip? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

limited slip?

changed my engine oil and front diff oil over the holidays. going to change transm,transf, and rear diff this weekend. 1992 JL. HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE A LIMITED SLIP OR NOT? i did not see any tag on the rear end. also, are positraction and limited slip the same thing? i work with a guy who used to work at autozone (which in his opinion makes him the authority) and he said that posi and lockers were the same thing. i thought a posi was a limited slip and a locker was a locker. thanks

92 SAMURAI stock except for 27x9.50 superswamper SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: limited slip?

Your buddy is wrong.

A limited slip/posi allows slippage in the differential. Each side can still spin freely, though there is some resisitance.

A locker firmly locks each axle together. There is no slippage.

It is highly unlikely you have an LSD in your vehicle. They weren't really an option offered in the U.S. and they are super expensive on the aftermarket to purchase.

Lockers are defeintely the TAD (traction adding device) of choice for Zuk owners nowadays.

http://www.rocky-road.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok glenn I was obervin the other day at the beach and I have to throw in my .02 cents! First off we all know I was not blessed with 4wd and now am still drivin a 2wd...Well I noticed that everytime that I go to the beach or basically a spot were my zuk can spin tires freely it always spins both at the same time??? Could there be a factory limited slip in there! We are the original owners!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"
Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/31*10.5's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/body lift/shackle reversal/soon to be SPOA/ snorkel/stock gears and still have 5th!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:25 PM

dude, if you keep thinking this hard your head will probably spontaniously combust....

only a LOCKER will make both tires spin at the same rate at all times...
LSD will do it sometimes (more often than an open diff)

if you're zook can spin tires freely then that means that both have the same amount of traction (none) so the diff supplies power to both wheels... it works the same in mud

where a locker really comes in handy is on rocks when you've got the suspension twisted up and one wheel is barely on the ground (or *gasp* completely off the ground)... if you had an open diff here, the wheel that is barely on the ground will begin to slip and you won't go anywhere... with a locker, it forces both wheels to turn at the same rate, so while your wheel that is off the ground will spin, the one that is left on the ground will spin too, causing the vehicle to move

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

Studly, a locker would even make your 2wd rig 100% better offroad. I'd spend some of that cash on a locker before putting bigass off-brand axles under it... especially since your rig has absolutely NO NEED for larger axles whatsoever.

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

nope studboy, you dont have a factory limited slip. ill bet $100 n title to zuktanic. reason you can spin both tires is lack of traction. with lil street tires and heavy go go juice applied, you can spin both tires at the same time. shoot, i do it all the time with my zuk. its all in the right foot.
BiLLy bOb

Head chef for izook events
Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hhhhmmmmm thanks then guys just had me stumpped! yah right now I am lookin for a parts rig that can be delivered or close to me so I can convert maybe sell some parts and tinker around with stuff like that!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"
Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/31*10.5's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/body lift/shackle reversal/soon to be SPOA/ snorkel/stock gears and still have 5th!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

>>>>are positraction and limited slip the same thing?<<<<
yes they are, Positraction is Chevy's word for limited slip.

Bill Forrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode