'96 Tracker cold low-idle speed problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

\'96 Tracker cold low-idle speed problem

Help!!! After searching the messages, I've come across some information relating to the problem my vehicle is experiencing. Before I troubleshoot, I'm hoping someone may lend additional advice for things to check.

Here's the scenario: '96 Tracker with 16v motor and five speed starts fine warm or cold, idles fine and runs fine. But, and here's the problem, usually (but not always) after initial 1 minute warm-up and about a half-mile of driving (sometimes less) the vehicle, when coming to a stop, idles down to about 500 rpm. Within about 15 seconds or so, the idle returns to a more normal speed about 900 1100 rpm depending upon temperature. Prior to the low-idle speed, the motor runs normally and seems to run normally once underway again.

The vehicle has stalled once so far and that was after having been driven about 15 miles (fully warm) and sitting for about an hour and becoming almost completely cold. The stall occurred going downhill.

The problem always goes away after the vehicle warms up after about ten minutes of normal driving. Sometimes it takes a shorter or longer period of time, but the problem does always go away completely. There are no other noticeable problems or deficiencies in performance.

I'm planning to check (Thursday) the EGR valve and the TP sensor, though the adjustment of the TP sensor would seem to be a problem affecting all aspects of running not just the cold-weather problem I'm experiencing.

The vehicle has 57,000 miles on it and is in good shape.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode