beefy little 83 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Subaru All Disccussion of all topics on Subaru AWD and 4WD vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

beefy little 83

Okay, here's my subaru miracle story.
My family has always owned subarus. I totaled my 92 legacy doing 105 on a back road (learned my lesson, by the way, I loved that car) We now own a 99 forester and an 83 GL which was given to us by our neighbor. It's a seattle rig, so it's rusty, but with 290,000 miles and only one trany swap to its name, it still runs like a champ!
the scene: northwestern montana, roads of packed snow, the middle of the night, after a christmas party.
I'm backing down this driveway because the parking area by the house is full of cars and trucks. there is this bridge over an irrigation canal stupidly positioned on a corner with no guardrail. I'm backing up, and cant see the bridge. I get a little too close to the edge of the road and get sucked into the deep snow, my momentum carries me onto the bridge and then off the edge. the car is now at about a 75 degree angle with the ground, two wheels off the bridge and two up in the air over the bridge. My girlfriend and I crawl up out of the passenger side door (very carefully) and go back to the house to call a wrecker. In the lights from his truck, we are able to survey the situation. the car is balanced on the transfer case (hanging on the bridge) and the front driver's side tire (sideways on a pipe under the bridge). she's stuck pretty solidly. we hook up two cables to the rear tow-hooks in attempts to pull the back end up onto the bridge. the wrecker drags the car backwards and up, snagging the rear drivers side tire on the bridge. he finally yanks the rear tire out, but the front end is still sideways, and the front driver's tire is now snagged. one of the guys there pries the front end out with a shovel while the wrecker winches. after what i assume to be agonizing suspension twisting and certain breakage, the car is back on the road. The wrecker pushes me back to the house and I change the front driver's side tire (which is flat due to a broken bead from the sideways pressure) I let the oil settle in the case and turn the key. to my surprise, she starts right up! (a little noisy, but running great) The next day, we drop the car off at the shop for an inspection and any necessary repairs. the only problem the shop can find is a small crack in the exhaust manifold, which they repair for 18 dollars. after standing in the freezing cold watching the little car's suspension and drivetrain subjected to abuses they never should've seen, I'd expected all kinds of damage, but she still runs amazingly well. this is when I decided that I will be forever faithful to subarus for my car uses (I now own an 84 toyota pickup for the clearance)
That little 83 has done amazing things, and I've been places most big trucks are afraid to go. Subarus are god, and for all my on-road needs, I'll look no further.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 01:03 PM
Old Hand

Re: beefy little 83

Good story sir.

92 ext cab 22re, thrush exhaust, Monroe sensa track shocks, 30x9 Goodyear GSA tires, driving lights, topper - it's slowly coming along.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 09:40 PM
SteelyDel

Re: beefy little 83

Yeah!!!
Never judge a book by it's cover. Good 'ol EA81, they are the Japanese version of the VW Beetle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode