Largest tires stock and offroad ability???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Subaru All Disccussion of all topics on Subaru AWD and 4WD vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Largest tires stock and offroad ability????

I'm thinking of getting one, can they handle offroad abuse. How are they in snow (deep and wet), mud, sand, forest roads? Also I'm looking at something between 93-97 an awd wagon not sure if it will be an impeaza or legacy. What size wheels do they have and what size "at" tires can I fit on them, something that can atleast handle dunes, the occasional blast through a corn field or snow covered field. Has anyone tried and been suscessful fitting some kind of allterain or even mud on a stock subaru?
Thanks for anything you can offer,
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Largest tires stock and offroad ability????

Did you see my post on lifts? They fit big tires then. I learned a lot about taking the right line in a rusted-out 79' wagon. A stock Subaru is an all-road car, don't expect to cross rivers (they can, just don't expect it) and you will enjoy the hell out of it. You can get an old beater and thrash it, or a newer legacy or forester and have a very reliable car that won't get stuck if you drive on the beach or down a back-woods trail.

Diesel Zuk, Lifted, Locked, .338 in the gun boot
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 1990 Subaru Legacy AWD has BFG 195/65r14's. They kick ass. The old tires were 165/75r14's. This is about as big as you can go w/out rubbing on flexy stuff. The ride is much better with the taller and wider tire. Handles like its on rails. These cars really do suprise me. I have owned 3 Subarus and will always probably have one as my long distance/grocery getter. I have been through mud and water that comes in the doors and snow that the bumper was pushing through. As a matter of fact one night not to long ago a friend and I got the car stuck in a swamp, It cut off after flying across the knee-deep Swamp h2o, She sank, the water came in over the seats, we went out through the windows, engine was under water all night, the next day we came back with a Tractor and pulled her out,I thought she was gone, I let it dry out for about an hour, turned the Key, she turned over,sounded like it was on 2 cylinders, tried it again, she purred like a kitten!!! Changed my fluids and filters, had the interior professionaly cleaned and the rest is history. They will not die!! The car sits higher with the tires. Not that I care too much because its my car not my 89' 4Runner or my 79' ScoutII. But I will never go swamping in my car again!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 08:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

booker,My wifes legacy is a 1994,can I run the 195x65R14s on it.It sits so low to the ground I cant hardly get in or out of it.I also live very rural so I am the snow plow.Thanks for the info,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 09:02 PM
JesseA

late model loyales are rugged as hell, and if you can live with 4x4 with only one range, they are nice cars. pushbutton 4x4, thats located on the top of the stick. simple, and cheap. Almost anyhwere that gets sonw will have scads of them. My mother drove them in Maine for years, and loved them. I would love to have one, (but I love my AMC Eagles) Great on gas. Grab a Loyale slap some skidplates and some kind of brush guard (just so the hood, grille and lights dong get thrashed) and mow the corfields. by the way, youll find that even the "Big" tires for Subarus are way cheaper than the "little" tires for Jeeps.

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode