Subaru's aren't bad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Subaru All Disccussion of all topics on Subaru AWD and 4WD vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Subaru\'s aren\'t bad

I recently went wheeling in an orchard with my friend, who owned a Subaru Impreza Wagon (totaled it). Anyways the Subaru suprised the heck out of me. It wasn't three feet deep of hardcore mud, but he didn't break anything. In matter of fact, he drove out of the orchard, unfortunately I didn't (broke power steering pump). My family owned a Subaru and it made 210,000 miles with the only major fix being a new clutch, then we sold it. Who knows how long it could go without anymore repairs. Although I am only 17, from my personal expierence Subaru's are very reliable and excellent snow performers. I am not going to sell my Bronco and buy a Subaru, but it would be the best car for someone, who wants a reliable car and the greatest snowmachine in the world. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 12:03 PM
SteelyDel

Re: Subaru\'s aren\'t bad

Thanks BC
It's really hard to judge the book by it's cover.
DEL

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 05:00 AM

I've never had one, but I'm sure they're great in situations like on road and snow... However if you hear me sayin' bad stuff about 'em, it's because they aren't really adjustable fairly easily into real off road machines... [crazy]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[cool] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 11:57 AM
SteelyDel

You're right Tim, there's not much anybody can do to make a Subaru looking like a rock crawler and function like one. It is an all terrain vehicle, however.
But in Alaska they rule! It's infested with Subarus!
DEL

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 10:24 PM

I have a good friend who worked for Subaru, in their computer department, in the 1980s, before they had a big downsizing and almost went under. He got several AWD models as company cars and he ended up buying a couple of them after turn in time. They are good reliable cars, good in the snow and rain. No ground clearance, however.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like that there Subaru has the same longevity as a Toyota, but without the 4wd capabilities. Yawn. Best car for you, you say, nuff said.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2000, 10:18 PM
SteelyDel

Re: Subaru\'s aren\'t that bad

Longevity? YES (the 81-87 1800cc don't have timing belts)
4WD capabilities? Not very much compared to BIG 4WD trucks.
But if a Subaru can be lifted to stuff taller tires then it can also go where the big trucks can. Subarus are'nt for rough off-road use, the manual tells you that. It has a Unibody that twists all the time when taken to a very rough road and don't have much wheel travel either. The good part is that it has 4 wheel independent suspensions.
However, even big trucks gets stuck.
I can't compare it to Toyota because I used to own a 4WD Toy truck.
It's totally a different thing when you drive it on the snow or dunes or rainy days.
I must admit that the older Subarus are underpower. The newer ones has more umphhh from it's engine which you won't be able to catch.
I can't make FUN or COMPARE VWs to Toyota because aircools proved itself on both street & off-road. Which will probably leave a trail of dust BEHIND on your basic 22R, big 35 BFG,4WD Toyota Truck.

And if anybody crazy enough to make a Baja Subaru EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE BETTLE, maybe we won't find any funny GUYS posting criticisms on this furom about Subarus.
I'm just fortunate I DON'T OWN A YUGO!

Like I said Subarus are'nt for woops and crawling, or deep mudding. But there's something about these little 4WDs that the trucks don't have,....... HANDLING.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2000, 03:07 PM

[wink] My suburban has handling... Bad handling, but at least it's handling... [laugh] The stupid markup still doesn't work here, does it? [mad] I'd like to see someone toss a subaru on a 4x4 frame and turn it into a bogger, I'd find it fairly interesting... I still wouldn't really like the body style, but it'd be interesting... My little S15 has good to great handling for such a vehicle, it can take corners as good as many cars I've seen, and go through probably considerably more than a Subaru... It's at an advantage for the simple reason that I have a frame, so the body is a bit stiffer... I consider 4 wheel independant suspension a fancy toy that isn't really good for much but a cushy ride... Solid axles seem to hold up to high HP/torque and such better... I'm not criticizing it... It is good for what it does, but is really hard to get it to do stuff like deep mud, and rocks, and even desert stuff where long travel suspensions really help... Snowy roads, really shallow mud, rallys and crap like that subarus are good at... But let's not pretend they're something that they aren't, which is hardcore off roading machines.. [crazy]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[cool] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2000, 05:29 PM
SteelyDel

Well, It,s kinda hard to eat Spaghetti with a spoon!
Or scoop the soup broth with a fork.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 03:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

when i had my '85 brat it was great for running up to the mountains, mess around in the snow up there or whatever. Del is exactly right on what the soobs are good for. they have always been funky looking but they handle good and usally have functional but nice interiors. and they lack ground clearance. for a 4wd wagon i think they look better than an amc eagle.

[blue]TomKlipp[blue]
100% Y2K DEFIANT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode