serious repair question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Subaru All Disccussion of all topics on Subaru AWD and 4WD vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 05:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

serious repair question

If anyone ever looks at this board and has knowlege of this repair,i would appreciate a email response,thanks
replacing a front crankshaft seal in a 92 Legecy,hard? easy? special tools? etc,etc
email- [email protected]
the sub garage says 3 days,and approx 300.00 no way..and if i soon dont get it fixed (daughters car) she is going to be cited for
a oil spill over half of maryland..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 07:39 PM
SteelyDel

Re: serious repair question

Go search for Ultimate Subaru Webring.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 08:01 PM
SteelyDel

LoneEagle How'd that Legacy project went?
Sorry can't help you much on the overhead cam subaru engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well,besides part prices at Sub dealer being outragous in price,it went.....well,,,, ok i guess. was easy to get to timing belt and water
pump.installation of water pump was easy,timing marks leave a lot to be desired though.belt tensioner is a great idea gone wrong.Its
a hydrolic piston type that you have to compress slowly in a vice and lock it down with a small pin that you have to supply.I used a small hex
key.It worked out ok but there are much easier to live with setups out there.Biggest problem is the darn thing air locked in the cooling
system and gave me a fit for a couple hours trying to burp it out.finally got it,how? i have no idea it just decided to cooperate finally.
replaced rocker cover gasket and bolt seals as well but it is still leaking a good amount of oil down on the exaust somewhere near the
rear of the engine.so much stuff on the motor you cant see back there,where i can see it is dry.I supose that is next.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 07:45 PM
SteelyDel

Usually the notorious oil pan bolts of the older Subarus tends to loosen. I have to retighten them once a year. The cork pan gasket really suck, it gets dried out overtime.
Next time I tackle it I'm gonna use the Toyota gray putty that the factory uses to seal the oil pan. It never dries out or hardened.
Maybe that's what you have on that Legacy, better check it.
It's always a good idea to take the car to a car wash and hose down the engine clean so you can trace the origin of the leaks.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

problem is oil doesnt seem to be coming from anywhere that you see down over rear of motor,its dry.But the Y pipe exaust is covered
on each side really bad.I have yet to get it up in the air and crawl under it though.Might be oil pan,but seems strange that most the oil
is located on Y pipes way outboard of oil pan.Thats why i blamed valve cover seals,they sit right over exaust.They were leaking,but i spose
wasnt the problem.Oh well,have to get under there and see whats going on,i am used to going under my car with it sitting on the tires
sure seems weird when you cant

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 10:00 AM
SteelyDel

Make sure it's not the CVs that's flicking all the grease on the exhaust pipes. I just replaced my CV boot the other day. Grease was all over the CatConverter and engine bay and smoke everywhere.
It could be the tranny fluid dripping out pass through the axle seals.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

,i know it isnt the CV boots,I just replaced the drivers side two and a whole new pass side axle
not long ago,I know its motor oil cause it leaks enough on the ground after sitting to easily tell.
this may be sold off for something else i was told today,so fixing it may not be necessary (i hope) LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode