Subaru pops when letting off gas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Subaru All Disccussion of all topics on Subaru AWD and 4WD vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Subaru pops when letting off gas

I recently purchased a 1987 Subaru Wagon with a 1.8. The problem is I'll be heavy on the gas, then shift and let off the gas and it pops. What could be causing this? It usually does it when the engines under load and then the load is released. It does it sometimes if I rev the motor and then let off. Anyone have some ideas? I changed the plugs and the gap was at .048" and is suppose to be around .040-.042". So I set the new ones to .042". We also adjusted the timing to 8 degrees. Someone suggested advancing the timing a bit. Should I try this? Also, someone said maybe it's an exhaust leak. How would I know for sure? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Subaru pops when letting off gas

id try the timing i used to have a dodge omni that used to backfire so load..it used to throw a fire ball out the back haha it was the timeing i never messed with it cuz the fire was cool
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Well, I adjusted the timing yesterday, and it seemed to run better. It still popped when I'd left of the gas. Anyway, it SEEMED to run better, until it killed itself and decided not to start again I had to get it towed home and now it's in pieces. We pulled the carb after watching it spray straight up when we cranked it over. So hopefully it's something with that. Now if we can just get it back in there and ALL the millions of hoses connected back in the right places. Any more ideas?
And this POS is suppose to be my RELIABLE and ECONOMICAL transportation!!!!!!!!!........BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:59 PM
SteelyDel

They are reliable! Too bad you have the OHC engine and I think they are POS too. You just have too fix it.
The early engines are like the VW engine with no timing belt to worry about plus less hoses, good luck!
DEL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

mine sounded like a shot gun blast untill i welded up a hole in the exhause and put new gaskets on the exhaust ports. those hoses arent so bad. i wouldnt advance the timing much more than that, it would be getting close to 30 before tdc at full advance

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:11 AM
fortis_1984

my truck did the same while engine braking when I moved up here and gained ~4000ft. of elevation. I had it tuned up for the elevation (carbs tweaked, timing adjusted) and he now runs like a top. I got the hole-in-exhaust suggestion as well, try to give her a good tuning first and see what happens! Don't knock sububarus, bro, she just needs some TLC! We (my family) had an 82 GL with a 1.8 with 280k on the odo, original engine, replaced USED trany, and as far as we knew nothing else except routine maintenance. I backed the sucker off a bridge (yes, accidentally ) in winter, managing to balance the thing on the rear diff. and the front axle and she only suffered a cracked exhaust manifold (don't ask me how)! Bulletproof I tell ya!

Charlie
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the input. Subaru's seem to be growing on me, but my Subaru is a POS. Shortly after starting thing thread, my Subi decided to eat it's timing belt. So I spent a few weeks fixing that, along with replacing the leaky water pump that caused the failure in the belt. We also rebuilt the carb and it's running, but worse than ever It's gutless as all hell now, and only barely manages to pull 20mpg. Not quite sure what the problem. So far, my best idea is that when we replaced the thermostat, we put too cool of one in and it's not getting up to optimum operating temp. It seems to run pretty cool unless it sits still for 10 minutes or so. Got any ideas why it's getting such poor MPG? It's timed correctly, and it's got new plugs, but old wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode