Snow-mo-boating - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Racing Post all discussions relating to snowmobile hill climbs, ovals, ice racing, SnoCross and drag racing (pavement, grass and snow) in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Snow-mo-boating

Howdy Folks, I spend most of my time on 2 wheels but do get out on my sled occasionally. I took it out for a spin on a local pond a couple of weeks ago to see how well it floated. It floats very well and I made quite a few runs back and forth but my belt started cooking. Someone told me that I needed to take my hood off so it would cool. Another person told me to completely seal it since the water was causing the belt to slip and get hot. I didn't take the hood off but I tried more runs the next week with the vents open and my belt slipped and I sunk. Then I tried the sealed approach and taped and siliconed up any holes I could find. I also installed a little bilge pump under the secondary in case any water got in and couldn't get back out. I made a few runs with a brand new belt but it still got hot. I noticed the pump was pumping away and when I opened the hood I saw there was still water getting in somewhere. Before I vacuum seal it I was wondering if anybody out there actually knows why the belt is cooking. Is it from no ventilation or from H20? The sled is a 2001 Polaris 800 XC SP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1172067-Watersled 1.jpg (45.3 KB, 194 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: Snow-mo-boating

Wow, 97 looks and not 1 reply. Not a very talkative bunch. Maybe I don't fit in being a biker, but hey, we're all a little crazy, right? That's something we have in common. I hate to think that a sled can do something a bike can't do so I tried bike-mo-boating on the weekend. Let's see if this'll loosen up the old keypad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1194848-Bike-mo-boating.jpg (93.8 KB, 118 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 11:35 AM

HI!, I have a ZR600efi and every spring after the snow melts off our sloughs in my fields I do a bit of puddle jumping myself, the boys I ride with have been doing this since they could ride sleds and they both have sunk em, blown em up and any other thing you could imagine happening to a sled while driving it on water. All the sleds they use are cats, I am not sure why you belt is slipping or burning but I have never had this problem, I hit the water around 45 50 mph and the skiis are dangeling for most of the run:Rockon:, this of it this way: The faster you go the less time the water has to get into your sled. I would send you some pics of this but I dont have a scanner, the guys are getting good enough that they can actually lean and turn their sleds on water liek you can in the mountains. :Beer:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 04:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode