riding water - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Racing Post all discussions relating to snowmobile hill climbs, ovals, ice racing, SnoCross and drag racing (pavement, grass and snow) in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

riding water

i got a 02 mxz700 with 144 woodys studs and am interested in riding across water this summer any tips on how to get it ready to do it or any tips for me on how to ride it.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: riding water

buy a boat
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I rode my snowmobile on the water last summer, and I also sunk my sled twice trying to turn around in the lake, and the trick of riding on the water is just be prepared to sink if you don't give it enough gas, but if you give it too muck your frunt end will come up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

riding on water is just like snow you just cant stop just hamer down and go
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

riding water is alot of fun but i like to ride in the winter and skip like three miles of open water it is funner than summer riding and not as harsh on the sled [color:blue] [/color] [color:blue] [/color]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a 02 mxz 600 and i ride the rivers and lakes all the time. all u have to do is hammer down and turn the opposite way you want to go and lean into it.
ryan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Riding water is easy. Go about 30-45. It's a lie just go out there and hammer it. if you give it too much gas you sink too, it just suck you under. don't be afraid of the throttle. but don't hit it at 75 or 100.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:28 PM

I have an 01 Polaris 800 XC SP with a 1 1/2 track, no studs, and can start right from the water's edge. The water gives you lots of traction and it's easy to lift the skis. Turning is tricky. You can either leave the machine sit flat and turn the skis like you would in the snow and it will slowly respond, or you turn the bars the wrong way so your inside ski tip won't dig in the water, and lean. You turn much quicker but it's tricky balancing and you loose momentum and traction as the track comes out of the water. The main cause of sinking is the belt getting wet. When it does, you're done, it completely looses grip and you slow to a stop. Do whatever you can to keep the belt dry. I used some silicone and old inner tubes to seal up as many holes as I could. I also installed a small bilge pump under my driven clutch to pump out any water that may get in. Once it's sealed up, any water that gets in stays in.
Be prepared to sink. Wear a PFD. I run over water that is 40 feet deep, so I have a small bouy tied to my sled with 50 feet of rope in a bag. If it sinks I don't have to dive to the bottom to find it. Carry a knife. Last summer a fella got tangled in his rope and got dragged down with the sled. He was running across 2 up and his passenger managed to free him and get him back to shore but he was in bad shape. If you're sinking, shut off the engine before you go under. A lot of guys pin the throttle in a desperate last attempt, it doesn't work and you could suck in water and hydralic lock your engine. Sinking happens nice and slow. Take your time, shut off the engine and gracefully bail off the sled and start doing the dog paddle.
Here's a link to a short vid clip from last summer. Beware of Davy Jone's locker.
Wet Sled Learning Curve
[image]http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/frostbight/ws3.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/frostbight/Ski_eelie.jpg[/image]

On a bike you need a bit more speed.
[image]http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/frostbight/water_4.jpg[/image]

Wow, I guess you can't post pics here. You can copy and paste the links (even in a word document) if you want to check them out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey guys:
From Hanna Alberta Canada. We hold an annual event here on the July 1st long weekend. We do water drags and have a great time. There is an island in the middle of the lake that we go out to and around. Riding the water is a lot of fun. We also make sure that all sleds have a buoy tied to it and all have PFD. Always think safety when doing this. Try it if you havent. Also, make sure you have a way of getting sled out if it does go down.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Morons. buy a dam water craft or a boat, how lame can you be, woo hoo I can ride across water on my SNOWmobile :Lame: BTW, I wonder how that is on the ecology everytime one of you burnt out light bulbs sinks in the lake and has gas leak out thru the cap, sounds like I need to send a letter to my congressman to complain about such moronic activities. Ya'll should try using your noodles for more than just a hair farm. BTW, these are my opinions and if ya don't like them, tough :smackdown:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode