Hit a bump and track stretched 6 inches?!?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hit a bump and track stretched 6 inches?!?!?

On Saturday I bought a 1981 Kawasaki Drifter in good condition. I rode it for about an hour, then took a break for dinner. Went back out and was riding the same terrain. After a hit a series of a few bumps, the track started making a garbling sound. I looked and the track had WAY too much slack in it. Initially I thought the drive shaft broke, but it did not. Then I thought the unit that the track rides on was hung up on something in the front. There is no evidence of this however. I tightened the tensioner bolts about 2 inches. There is still way too much slack. How could this happen? Visit my webpage for pictures and more details. Any input is appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/yottahax0r/drifter.html

The gas cap broke on it also so if anyone has one or knows where I can get one please let me know.

JETRep
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hit a bump and track stretched 6 inches?!?!?

Check to make sure you have not broken one of the suspension mounts control arms. It may look alright while just sittin there, but if you pick up the back end and the track sags a bunch check those parts to see if they are broken. Good luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 07:45 AM
Matt M38A1

Jet-

first of all, why did you remove the shock? You said more travel, this machine is by no means a snowcross racer. Please!

You need to take a couple more photos, specifically of the front of the rails. The last photo wouldn't come up for me. But by the one I could see it looks as though the front tourque arms have broken free from their mounts.

In other words, the slide rails have slid forward and and up causing the loose tension. It looks like the front idler wheels are floating front and back. It may be designed to do this, as it appears the rear ones are designed to float front to rear a bit. I would suggest that removal of that shock was your undoing. Was it spring over (coil spring on the shock)? If so that is designed to keep those arms spread and maintain track tension. Or you removed some linkage that you should not have.

Give us some more info about what you removed, and I think we can give you some solid advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I removed the shock absorber to see if it some how got hung up on the inside and wasn't completely extending. I didn't reinstall it because it is totally shot and needs to be replaced. I just wanted to mention that its removal gave additional travel, which I'm sure is what caused the damage to the those brackets.

All of that happened after the initial problem though so that isn't really the problem. No, the shock is not a coil over and I have not removed anything else. The shock was installed when the track suddenly had all of this slack and I did nothing but put fuel in the tank.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some better pictures of the front of the track assembly up, I was in a hurry when I took those others. I made the file sizes of the pictures a little smaller so they load faster. Try this url:

http://www.geocities.com/yottahax0r/drifter1.html

Thanks alot for taking the time to help.

JETRep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 07:50 AM
Matt M38A1

Well that makes sense!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Could take one of the slide rails, looking down on them, and in front of the front idler wheels.

Also one of the front torsion springs.

I have looked again, and I may have been wrong. It appears from the photos that the rubber bumpstops on the rails are still in line (roughly) with where they would make contact underneath. Then I noticed the front torsion springs. Have they broken or come out of their mounts?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 08:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the front right torsion spring came out of its mount. I don't know what that means but I hope you're onto something! Thanks for taking a look.

JETRep

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 09:01 AM
Matt M38A1

Without the spring tension the rails won't support the weight ot the machine! Put 'em back in and let her rip. Oh yeah readjust the track tension it'll probably be WAAYYY to tight. You may want to back the adjuters off before wrestling with that spring.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What I meant is one of the springs came off after all of this happened and I rode it again, so it can't be the cause of the problem. The springs were always on, I just noticed the next day in the daylight that the fron right one was off. I put it back on but it didn't change anything.

JETRep

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

*bump* because I am desperate to ride.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 05:41 PM
Matt M38A1

Photos?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode