polaris questions? please help( again) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

polaris questions? please help( again)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INFO.

to recap. i have a 95 rxl 650 efi and i have no weight transfer and im burning slides left and right. i now have a few more questions. i was doing some research and on one post they said that polaris has a set of idler wheels that you can add to the front, has anyone done this and did it solve the slide problem?? i also read about loosening the track and tightening it down alittle to stop it from racheting?? can some one clarify? now for weight transfer- on my sled i only have one scissor block on each side in the rear. can i remove them or will that damage the susp. i already have them on the lowest setting. any holp or info will be appreciated. oh yeah- if anyone knows how to set up this sled or can point me in the right direction PLEASE do so

THANXS

derek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: polaris questions? please help( again)

It sounds like you have an EXTRA 10 suspension. If that is the case removeal of the stop blocks behind the rear scissors will give you maximum weight transfere. On hard pulls the skis may be off the ground if you can get hook-up. The set in front of the rear scissors changes down hill control. 96 to 98 XLT, Ultra and others used EXTRA 10, adjustment guides were under the hood as well as details in their owners manuals.. check them. In west riding we pull all the boggie wheels we can for weight savings but we don't have much in the way of hard pack trail conditions. We have found that a set of scratchers from Holtz Manufacturing will cure HIFAX wear problems. If you want to add a set of wheels sent me e-mail, I have six or eight sets I have pulled off. Another thought if you really have the EXTRA 10 it didn't come stock on the machine, you might check the mounting of it against a machine with it stock to make sure it was mounted in the proper position.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im positive that i have the xtra 12. i read that polaris offers a kit? to add some wheels near the bend in the rail. has anyone heard or done this? sounds like a good idea to me. not sure on what to do or look for next

derek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a 95 XLT SP which had the same suspension as you have and it is an Xtra12. My sled had too much transfer for my taste so I modified my settings. The factory setting on the front block is high (which is the dot on the block facing the pivot) which should give you weight transfer you want. Removing this will cause damage because there is no spring on the front torque arm and the block is the only way it gets spring rate. All the springs are on the rear torque arm and the blocks are what controls the rails from crashing down in the front. The Xtra12 is a very strange suspension to understand. It had me puzzled for a while until a friend of mine explained it to me. Mine transfered so bad that I couldn't steer under acceleration. Maybe that's what you are looking for. As for the slider problem, there is a kit available for bogie wheels to be installed just in front of the rear idlers. This will help your issue. Was the recall done on this machine? Many parts had to be changed on the rear suspension due to design of parts. The shock rods were replaced, the shaft and fastners at the bottom of rear torque arm was changed. There were many parts replaced. As for the ratcheting, it sounds like the track must be too loose. Typicaly once a track starts to ratchet too much it will always do it easier latter on. The Xtra12 usually tightens the track as it collapses. Maybe the settings are a little off on the rear blocks. Hope some of this info helps you out. Sorry about so much info but I did do a lot of stuff on mine and I know how it works.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a problem with my '94 XLT where the track would ratchet under load (hard acceleration, powder riding) and it turned out that the bolts that hold the front sissor arm on the tunnel had come loose allowing parts of the sissor arm to break. Check yours to make sure this isn't the case.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your xtra12 was not known for weight transfer. This was more of a comfort suspension. The(FRSS)front rear scissor stops are used to assist in how soon the suspension couples. The more space between the block and the arm, the longer it takes to couple the rear to the front. The (RRSS) were not moveable and shouldn't be removed. In order for your susp. to move freely, you should keep it as loose as you can as long as it doesn't ratchet. I was able to let mine hang about 1.5 in., however, I didn't run studs. There is a wheel kit for the rear, however, the hy-fax will wear rapidly to a point and then all but stop completely. This was normal. I'm sure you can find and or adapt a set for the front radius, if it wears there too. Even with studs you can run this fairly loose(the track) Remember, rear hy-fax wear is normal and will wear to a point then all but stop. Don't keep replacing them. Xtra 12 front straps should be left in stock position also (extended) Something to keep in mind.... you are probably sitting on the point where your shocks come together . This almost acts as the fulcrum. Adjust accordingly. Hope this helps. Think snow!!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you look on the front of the rails, just before they curve you'll notice the factory drilled a hole on each side. If you want you can buy an extra set of idler wheels and the blocks they mount to and mount them to these holes. This will aleviate some of the front hifax wear. The kit can be had from Wahl Bros for about $50 I think.

Good luck,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode