ski doo seized track - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ski doo seized track

I have a '96 ski doo grand touring and this past weekend the track melted to the sliders. This was after only one mile on the lake. I was able to get it free again with a chisel and hammer. While I understand that this is a "snowmobile" I bought it to tow my fish hut around and will most likely need to operate it under similar conditions. Are there any suggestions on how I can avoid this again? Would additional idler wheels help? The sliders are (were) fairly new stock units I believe. Would different sliders help? I normally operate the machine with two large people (400lbs) is this part of the problem also?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ski doo seized track

You will experiance this in low snow conditions. Don't use BFH! That's Big Frickin' Hammer. This happened to me, where the sled could no longer pull itself forward. I had my wife stand on the edge of the track and I lifted up the back end. On yours, you had better be a body builder, cause that thing is a pig Try this, before you go off onto the ice, grab some fresh, clean snow and dump it onto the inside of the track, this will give you a little lubrication. You can also drag your boots to spray up a little bit of ice and snow. A more permanent fix is to install Ice Scratchers. I don't know who makes them, but I bet you could search them out. They attach to the front of your sled, and drag along to spray up onto the slides. You can pull them up for backing up. the only other thing I'd check is to make sure your track tension is set fairly loose compared to stock specs, but don't let the track rachet. When you've gone too far, there isn't enough tension for the drive sprockets to pull the track around, so they slip. Good luck!

need my fourwheelin' fix
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are aftermarket sliders which are made of teflon. They are relitevely expensive, but you are a lot less likely to have that prblem and they last much longer than a oem slider. I think that they are about $150 a pair. good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a set of Ice Scratchers

Another trick is to drill a hole at the back of your skis and put a 3/8 bolt or track stud into the drilled hole,this will penetrate the ice and snow creating a spray of snow for your track.

As for being 400lbs don't worry that has NOTHING to do with the sliders sticking.

Make sure their is some loose snow when you are on the lake,try not to do extended hard pack(almost ice)runs this probably the cause of your sliders sticking.

Punch Da Throttle and ROOST!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stud your track, the picks will kick up enough ice chips to keep those slides cool and you'll love the added traction in more ways than one.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 07:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just put ice scrapers on your skis,and STOP with the hammer and chisel!!! You have to have lube on the slides! or use the bolt trick like mentioned above that works too.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can't ride a mile on ice without your sliders melting your track is to tight. Adjust it like lookin4jp suggested.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i would install the teflon "hyperfax" and add ice scappers. i KNOW the teflon slidders work,my wifes ZL has a set and her sled will coast for ever ,my sled is brand new and wont coast anywhere as far as hers(yes the track tension is set right and actually a little loose).dont buy the teflon "mix" slidders,thats more of a gimmick.its the $155 pair that you want,it has a teflon strip that runs down the middle.the melting temp of teflon is twice that of original hifax. these sliders have 2500 miles on them and are still in great shape,even with the bad snow conditions these last few years. good luck,happy fishing.

motor head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode