clutch thingy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

clutch thingy?

I have a 97 600xcr and am wondering what the little adjustment dial on my secondary clutch is. It has a 1-3-5 on it and is set at 3. What does this adjust and how would I adjust it if I wanted to?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:38 AM
Matt M38A1

Re: clutch thingy?

If you don't know what it is, why would you want to adjust it?

Just kidding. Its for adjusting the neutral (or low gear) postion of the secondary sheaves. A brand new belt should ride out of the sheaves about an eighth of an inch when the clutch is closed (or low gear). If you look closely at that dial you'll notice there are ramps stamped into it. Inside the secondary there are pins that set on these ramps. Turning the dial allows the pins to move on these ramps, and makes the sheaves open or close as necessary.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Matt. When would you have to adjust this? As the belt wears, or if you would happen to switch brands of belts and there is a width difference? Seems to be fine right now, but I would like to know for future reference. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 07:58 AM
Matt M38A1

You really don't. The older machines had to have the secondary disassembled to make that change. The dial just makes adjustment easier, particularly for racers trying to get the best holeshot possible. When your belt wears you should put on a new one anyway, then your back to square one. Mountain riders may pull the belt out a bit more so they have a lower "first gear", that sort of stuff.

I wouldn't mess with it if your just riding, mostly because if it's set right (with a new belt) you don't need to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode