95 RXL 650 HELP PLEASE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

95 RXL 650 HELP PLEASE

i have a 95 rxl 650 efi, i have absolutely no weight transfer and ive burned through two sets of slides in 300 miles. the track is adjusted to 1/2" like it said in the manual, the limiter strap is in the middle position. HOW CAN I GET SOME WIEGHT TRANSFER AND WHAT DO I NEED TO CHECK TO STOP BURNING OUT MY SLIDES??? the trails have been in really good condition and its not normal to burn through two sets of slides in under 300 miles. PLEASE any help or articles or advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 95 RXL 650 HELP PLEASE

take your susspenion out. Where the front of it bolts in there is a plate on the inside of the tunnle. there should be a hole drilled trough and another one that is drilled in the plate but not in the tunnle. that will be the top hole drill it out and remount your susspenion in that hole. I had to do this to my storm when i put the Xtra 10 in it and that took care of the problem.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im pretty sure that i have the xtra 12 suspension, will this still work? and did it help with burning out slides or didn't you have that problem?? do i have to fill in the other hole in the tunnel for strength?? thanks for the help, now since im slow i just need a little clarification
once again THANKS

derek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes it will work on the Extra 12. I nver had that problem but when I bought my Extra 10, my buddy that also installed one in his storm said to do that or you will cut trough the slides like butter. I have not filled in my hole and 2500 miles later it is still holding up. Also for better transfer take the blocks out of the rear by the idler wheels they are about 1.5" by 1.5" all you need is a metric allen wrench and a 15 or 16 mm open end wrench. Only the 2 back blocks!
GOOD LUCK AGAIN

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:23 PM
Matt M38A1

dpionke-
You do have the Xtra-12, and I'm pretty sure you CANNOT do what ernie is suggesting. I had my dad's XLT suspension out just a few months ago, and the front mount is completely different than that of the x-10. For starters the front arm is narrower that the width of the tunnel (the mount makes up the difference), and secondly the mount has a half moon shape on it that rests on the top of the front tourque arm. There is no way to move the arm up without removing this material. Are all the idler wheels present and accounted for? I have a photo if you need for reference.

What do you mean by "middle position" on the limiter strap? The X-12 has a pile of holes, and you have to wrestle with it and move the strap and rebolt it. Sound familiar? If so, in order to INCREASE weight transfer you actually want to let that strap out, or be bolted into the last set of holes. I wouldn't jump straight to removal of the rear scissor stops just yet. Check where they are set. Change them to the low setting and give that a try.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MATT
your right, the suspension is different, and i have tried all that you have stated still nothing. when i bought it, it was still in the factory set up. i just recently changed the limiter in hopes of saving my slides, didn't work. i thing the rear shock is screwed cause i cant adjust it( wont tread up or down) i adjusted the blocks, then put them back but no real difference, track is 1/2" like manual says. i just cannot get any transfer and my slides almost look like they are getting shaved, cause i can see large particles along the slide and on the track. any info on this suspension, articales or pics would help me a ton.

derek

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the Extra 10 and 12 are relitivly the same set up. The holes in the tunnle are made off the same assembly line. The 12 has just 2 more inches of travel. If you move the front bolts up to the top holes if will take a hell of alot of pressure of those slides.My buddy had the same problem and he was wearing slides out fast this is what he did and it fixed the problem. Im positive this will work. you wont know unless you try it. GOOD LUCK!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:34 AM
Matt M38A1

What's the condition of the track clips? Maybe you got into some dirt and screwed a couple up and now they're chewing through the sliders.

Also, when you tightend the track tension did you (a)make sure the track is running straight and (b) hang a 10 lb weight 16 inches from the center of the rear axle?

When I tension mine we hang a weight from the track, we use a dumb bell and hang it with wire.

If you didn't check to make sure it runs straight, then those clips will be running against the slides all the time, and probably cause excessive drag as well. Once you set track tension, with the track in the air engage the clutch and let the track spin for a second or two. If it's not straight you'll see it. There's no exact measurement, but just adjust it till it's even on both sides. It only takes small movements on the adjusters to do this. If it's running to far to the right (as you look at the back), back off the left adjuster a 1/4 turn. Everytime you make a change start the machine and spin the track.

You also didn't say where you were chewing through them, front, rear, or the sides.

My dad's XLT as almost 5000 miles and he's only on the third set.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

m chewing through them right at the the rail bend, where the bolt goes. the track is running straight but i did not add weight. i just think its odd that its chewing them up and its still pretty much in the factory settings. why would they get chewed in the factory setting? and i wonder why i would have to drill a new hole, why didn't it come from the factory that way? i'll have to look and see what i can do. and i want to thank everyone for their advice and the info, i appreciate it.

derek

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:55 AM
Matt M38A1

Yeah you definetly have to hang weight from it. You are running the track to loose. Get a 10 lb barbell, hang it 16 inches from the axle, then adjust track tension and runnout. If you have picks it is recommended tht you adjust it even slightly tighter. With 10 lbs and picks we run ours (5 sleds) at 1/4 inch droop (measured where the weight hangs) and don't have any wear issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode