92rxl ign. problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

92rxl ign. problems

need help with a sudden ignition problem on my 92 rxl efi .
we had a lot of rain a week ago and that is when all the trouble started . we got it started again but not since. we have no spark at all to the plugs. the fuel pump cycles once but no spark. the computer has to trigger the coils correct? and , the coils work on a grounding system also so they can resaturate correct? now of the two wires on the coil pack witch one is the pos. one? any suggestions .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 92rxl ign. problems

Polaris uses brown wire for ground thru out their sleds. You should have a orange and brown on each coil. I don't think you problem is in the ignition coils. There are a couple of six or eight pin connectors down by the pull starter... one sends power to the coils the other power to the lights and rest of the machine. If you look you will notice they are wide open in the back and I have seen them get wet in there and shut down a machine. I would blow them out with a compressor and see if that is the problem. I fill the back of mine with RTV to make them water tight. To find your no spark problem, start by unplugging the kill switch, then the key switch and handlebar heaters. Any of these can get wet and cause a no spark situation. If it still won't start you may have lost the exciter coil. It is located under the flywheel and is sandwitched with the lighting coil. It is common for the 650s to loose them. You may be able to check it with an ohm meter without disassembly. Check the service manual for test proceedure. It is held in place under the flywheel with a couple of screws and is soldered into the wire harness. Carefull removeing the flywheel not to damage the hall effect pickup on the outside of the flywheel. Flywheel is removed with a puller and it is threaded with metric bolt holes.
Check those items.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode