1972 TX340 Engine Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 02:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1972 TX340 Engine Question

My name is Mike Bosmans, I am currently trying to restore a 1972 TX 340 to compete in the annual New Berlin Sno-Hawk Races here in Wisconsin. I recently purchased a used engine for this sled, however Upon receiving the engine, it looks obviously bigger than the original engine for the sled. I am trying to find out what this "new" engine is and will it be compatible with the sled I have. The serial # on the "new" engine is: 502071, the casting # on the crank case is EC44PT-05. On the old engine, the serial # is 21889, and the casting # is EC34PM-02. I am guessing that the new engine is a 440, hence the 44 in the casting #, and that the old engine is actually a 340 with a 34 in the casting #. Other than the obvious physical dimensions being different, is there any problems with using a 440 engine in a sled designed for a 340? Please provide me with any information you may have available regarding this situation.

Sincerely,
Mike Bosmans
email: [email protected]
phone: 414-467-6638

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1972 TX340 Engine Question

If you stop by your Polaris dealer and check his first volume shop manual it lists the models and their engine numbers in the front of the book. I think you are correct, you likely have a 440. It should work fine with no mods needed to you chassis. If it came with carbs it probablly with be close on calibration otherwise while wou are in the shop manual write down the basic setup. If yu have to use clutch or others items off of the 340 carefully check crank taper and any other vaiables between the two.
Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 02:42 PM

Re: 1972 TX340 Engine Question

Actually there will be no problem with the physically bigger engine. The sled came with two engine options. One was a 335cc engine and the other was a 500cc 3 cylinder engine. The EC44PT-05 engine was used in the TX series from 1976 to 1980 and had a chrome cylinder bore. It is a 440 engine with actual displacement of 432cc. It's strange the old engine was a PM casting which denotes a fan cooled engine which was not listed as an engine choice in 1972 for that sled. Perhaps that was not the original motor.

"Sled till you're dead"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode