Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Snowmobile Lounge (https://forums.off-road.com/snowmobile-lounge/)
-   -   Moose on my tail?...trail. (https://forums.off-road.com/snowmobile-lounge/53271-moose-my-tail-trail.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 01-17-2001 01:03 PM

Moose on my tail?...trail.

Im new here so I dont know if anyone has brought this up.Everyone keeps talking about snowmobilers bothering wild life. A few years ago we had so much snow that the animals couldnt get around for their feed. Guess what they did. We could hardly get around on the trails for wildlife. We had beware of moose signs everywhere. People even added "and we mean it" to those signs. I travel alone alot and had trouble getting them to move,(one had to wait untill one was out of the woods into a field to go around them) so much so that hubby had to put reverse on my sled for me so I could turn in tight spots to take an alternate route. What happened to these poor swamp donkeys when there is no trails? By the way, these same animals still use our trails when there isnt a lot of snow, axcept that they move off the trail when a sled comes.

retiredpop 01-17-2001 06:38 PM

Re: Moose on my tail?...trail.

Believe it or not but the eco-terrorists use that argument against us saying that it is too easy for the animals to move around on our trails so they don't stay where they belong.

"Sled till you're dead"

**DONOTDELETE** 01-18-2001 12:34 AM

We have a big "super highway" trail up a wide creek valley where I ride. If you sneak up there on a weekday you can see 30 of the fattest moose ever walking up and down the trail feeding on the willows along side it. On the weekends they just bed down 20 yds from the trail and watch everyone go by, they don't seem bothered a bit.

On the narrow trails its another story, but they still get all week to feed.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~mhbs/Moore...owmobile1.html

**DONOTDELETE** 01-18-2001 02:08 PM

As for moose not staying where they belong, I also 4 wheel in the summer and knw the country around me really well and the moose stay exactly where they belong. They have 2 or 3 spots that they like and every 3 weeks you will find them there. In fact 2 years ago I shot a moose and 1 year ago hubby shot one and they were right where they were suposed to be. ( We arnt big time hunters. It is almost impossible to get your name drawn for a liscence and we were very very lucky)

**DONOTDELETE** 01-18-2001 08:29 PM

**DONOTDELETE** 01-18-2001 08:31 PM

I don't know what state you live in sled chick, but I live and ride in Maine and know what you are talking about, ever notice how black moose look when you are coming around a corner at 60 + mph just after dark ?

**DONOTDELETE** 01-19-2001 01:22 PM

Ilivenot far from you. Im in New Brunswick. Yes I do notice how black and big those moose look, especially at 1 am. Thats when you see them.Backa few years ago when I was talking about all the snow we had, a guy up here had his sled pretty well totalled by one.Hedidnt run intoit. It turnedon him whenhe pushed it toofar.Excusemy errors. The space bar onthis thingjust gave out. Hubbyfixes sleds but wont touch this thing.