slp big bore kit for 400 polaris - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

slp big bore kit for 400 polaris

anyone out there ever put a big bore kit in a 400 polaris? Just wondering how it panned out. Top speed, gas milage, ect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: slp big bore kit for 400 polaris

I have a 1983 indy 600 with a 650 big bore kit and the heads have been shaved about .020"-clutched -modified single pipe-stuff like that. it runs a consistant 103 MPH in 1000' but i get about 40 kms per tank kinda sucks but its fast-craig

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The first sled I owned was a SL 404, this was built on a 340 liquid twin Polaris. It was a great combo. cylinder were was virtually zero after 5000 miles. Hp went from about 65 to 84 I think and it was our "tanker" sled... when the other machines would get low on fuel it still had half a tank and we would siphon into the others. The 400 Polaris twin was a result of the work SLP did with this machine, likewise the 488 (500) twin was a result of the big bore they made on the 400.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I grew up on a 90 400 SKS. Yes you can put a big bore kit on it. Its basicly the same engine as the 500. As for using SLP I don't know. You should be able to use everything but just order some 500 pistons bearing pins etc. and have a machine shop bore it out for you. Mine engine blew a rod out the lower bottom caseing at around 3500 miles I think that was due to a oil pump failure. You should get an estimate on how much for the kit. Depending on year chassis you should be able to find an used rotax or another polaris 500 engine pretty cheap. oh yeah top speed with my big A on it was 80-85 Mph but I had different gearing and a longer track hope this helps

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for replies. Have access to lots of 500 pistons etc...sled does 90+ now at 20+ mpg. Maybe should leave well alone. Really was looking for the 100 hp S.L.P. mod conversion. I wanna run with the 600s.Right now I have to really boogie through the turns to make up for the straight stretches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode