Damn pull cord! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn pull cord!

Ugh! I broke my second pull cord on this new 2001 polaris 800 twin (xcsp) It's the second one in 1000 miles. I, nor my dealer can see any sign of chafing to cause the breakage.....is the cord just not strong enough to pull this beast over? What can I do about my problem?
I got a hold of some aircraft cable, I'm wondering if that would work. It looks like clothes line cable, but is much stronger. Has any one ever used any type of cable instead of regular cord for a sled??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Damn pull cord!

Where does it break? Does it look frayed? I wouldn't recomend the cable, been there, it will saw right through any plastic it contacts. I have seen the hose clamps Polaris uses cut a rope, rotate the ears on them away from the rope path. Also you can go to a home inprovement store and they make a coil spring for bending tubing, take off the pull handle and feed the rope through it. Replace handle and the spring becomes a great guide. This thing looks like a coiled screen door spring with one end flared and about 12" long. I assume you are using pull cord rope, if not you should it is tighter woven and resists abration better. Hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help garyc[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I know what you mean by the pipe bender coil thing. I have one in my tool box. I'll see If I can put it on. I'm gonna pick the sled up today (dealer fixed it already)

The cord does look like it's getting fraid, but I can't see where it's getting hooked. I had people pull the cord while I looked at the path it took, but still can't see anything.

I'll get the bugger, thanks again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the rope is ok from the handle down to the starter but freyed when the rope is pulled out, you may have a sharp edge inside the pull starter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode