polaris on fire!!
I recently had an experience that all Polaris owners should be aware of. Long story, but I'll try to make it short. While doing a little work on my 1997 Polaris Indy XLT Touring, had the rubber boot off the battery terminal. The boot is off the terminal frequently, to charge the battery, remove/install the battery, and it just generally don't always get returned to the perfect position on the terminal during cold weather work. Taking a break, I closed the hood and went in the house. The steel cable which supports the hood folded into the hood upon closure, as designed. However as this cable folded in, it contacted the battery terminal, causing a dead short to the frame of the snowmobile. The resistive heating of the short started a fire and burned up the snowmobile. TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR HOOD CABLE, AND WRAP ELECTRICAL TAPE AROUND IT SO IT CAN'T CONTACT THE BATTERY TERMINAL. I'd like to save you from this disaster waiting to happen. This is a serious problem, and I hope Polaris deals with it. Voice your opinion to Polaris!!!