hyfax wear with a paddle track - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hyfax wear with a paddle track

am i going to run into problems with excessive hyfax wear going to a 1.5" track? trying to determine if this is an issue or not.

will be riding road ditches and hard-pak trails.
what will help? "hyper"fax, extra bogey wheels, etc?

also, will i notice any significant reduction in performance using an 8 tooth driver as opposed to stock 9 tooth? (needed to make the 1.5" track fit clearance)

thanks

tj
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] "it was a '76, '77, '78, '79...'83 automobile!" (johnny cash)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 03:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: hyfax wear with a paddle track

You will see increased hifax wear. Last season with really good snow I was eating them every 1000 miles with stock Polaris Plastic. No biggy since I can get them for $30 a pair. That was with an 1 1/2" . You won't see much of a loss in performance with the 8 tooths. Actually you'll find that most of the early 90's Polaris-s are overgeared and dropping to the smaller drivers tends to correct this. We just got done putting an 1 1/2" on a buddies '94 XLT SKS and he didn't notice much loss in top speed, but it launched much better out of the corners.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~mhbs/Moore...owmobile1.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 11:37 PM
portgrinder

polaris are bad for hyfax wear. the track will knock off about 10km/h. my 2inch summit has 2000km on it and its fine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

All depends on where you ride. Only since '00 with the XtraLite has Polaris had any problem with their hyfax. My sled went 3000 miles before it's first hifax because of really good snow and selective riding. Last year I rode no matter what and ate a couple sets, no big deal.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~mhbs/Moore...owmobile1.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The smaller drivers are good for 8% gear reduction the 96 XLT RMK came with them stock and Polaris also had a kit to convert older sleds. In that kit they supplied a different ratio speedo drive to compensate for the small drivers. As for hifax wear buy a set of HOLTZ scratchers. My sled always overheated in spring riding but with the scratchers down I no longer have a problem. On hard pack we have seem engine temps of 160 plus but just drop the scatchers and we don't see over 120, also the slide rail is packed with snow.
Wear on even the extra lite is virtually zero.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode