91 Polaris rxl flooding at start up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

91 Polaris rxl flooding at start up

I have a 91 Polaris RXL and it floods at start up once it's been running. If it hasn't run it a few days it starts right up with no problems. And it runs great. Turn it off for 30mins and then try to start it and it floods itself. I tested the injectors to see if they leak the they tested good. It's like it thinks its cold and primes itself alot of gas. Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 91 Polaris rxl flooding at start up

Check to see if any codes are set in the CPU (lights on side of box), if none you'll likely need to get the diagnostic unit from a dealer involved. I would speculate the barometric sensor or thottle position sensor may be bad. That system has a cold start button as you know and perhaps after some heat gets into the CPU it thinks you punched the cold start button. Hope that gives you somewhere to start.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gary, I did see the light flashing in the box. Currently I have no books to help me and the dealers seem to be out of them for now. I am not aware of a cold start button. I see there is a temp sensor in the air filter box. I checked it out and it seems fine. Resistance is 6K Ohms when cold and 2K when warm. It is a if the computer thinks it is doing a cold temp start. How does it learn temp? Besides the senosr in the air filter box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:47 PM
Matt M38A1

If there is a light flashing, then you have an issue. That's the computer telling an error code. The airbox sensor would be the barometric sensor (altitude adjustments), I beleive the machine does engine temp sensing in the coolant someplace. Tell me how many long and short flashes it gives you and in what order, and I'll e-mail a guy who can tell you what it means.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've just seen lights flash once. The senor in the air filter box is the air temperature sensor. The computer needs this to get the fuel/air mixture right. I understand Polaris uses a look-up table using the throttle position sensor, the altitude sensor and the air intake temperature to get the mixture right. The altitude sensor is located on the computer board and has a barbed fitting on it so an air hose can be connected to it to test it. I'll look for code. Thanks for the help. Is there any book out there worth the money? Is the Clymer book anygood?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 02:49 PM
Matt M38A1

The clymer manuals are generally good. If you tell me the sequence (if it does it again)I know of a guy that can tell us what it is saying.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are no codes to read. I recall I unplugged the injectors to help clear the flooding when I saw the flashing code. At least the computer knows when an injector is open circuit. I see there is a pot adjustment on the computer board, anyone know what it adjusts? I did talk to a Polaris guy and he says check the fuel pressure, and be sure the throttle position sensor is set right. I going to do that and if that don't work I'm going back to driving my 76 MERCs TT. Thanks for the help, Matt and others. First time me using this bbs. Seems real good. I'm a EE so any electrically issues are usually no big deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode