popping and spitting..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

popping and spitting.....

got an Indy 500 that is doing some popping and spitting after a 50 mile ride through trails and ditches.

any help as to where to start... (my thoughts are the easy stuff first, plugs...) then where?

thanks,

tj
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] "it was a '76, '77, '78, '79...'83 automobile!" (johnny cash)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:28 AM
Matt M38A1

Re: popping and spitting.....

We tolda ya so. Should've gone with that XLT.

Just kidding.

How did it run before hand? How old was the gas in the tank? Did you change the plugs and keep going? If so how did they look? Did you blast alot of powder, enough to get it into the cowling/air intake area?

Here's my vote. You may have water in the gas/carbs, or you got powder into the intake and froze up the carbs.

I think we need a little more info to appropriately help, though.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Was the popping and spitting evident the entire 50 miles, or show up after you were riding for a bit? How do those plugs look? I agree with Matt's suggestion on the carbs, and another thought might be that you're engine is running too rich. Therefore, after awhile, your spark plugs are fouled (oil/gas coated) and would produce very similar symptoms as you described. However, if the popping and all was noticeable right away, probably not. Otherwise, raising/lowering the needle a bit or re-jetting may solve your problems.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 12:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks guys..... i tried to get the XLT, but it was sold by the time i got back... oh well.

only started to pop when i got back to the house after the ride. and when i fired her back up to get her on the trailer. i haven't checked the plugs yet. that's where i'm going to start this eve.

tj
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] "it was a '76, '77, '78, '79...'83 automobile!" (johnny cash)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 12:38 PM
Matt M38A1

Backfiring type pop?

Did the sled idle for abit before you loaded it on the trailer, or did you run at low speed for a bit back to the house. It could just be that it's all loaded up, or a slightly flooded condition from low speed/idle conditions. Change the plugs, tear it across a field a few times and see what happens. Mine got all loaded up one night last week. I had ridden it down a hill and across a field. Probably a 1/4 mile. then i shut it off. When i restarted it ran on two cylinders, popping etc. the next night, I changed a couple plugs, and it stayed that way for 4 1/2 miles then finally came out of it.

Not all do it but many sleds have an issue with flooding on the trailer. Shut the gas off before you trailer (not that this is your current issue). The jostling causes fuel to slosh/trickle out of the bowl and down into the base. This floods the base after awhile. and if you got a full tank sloshing around gravity only helps this process. It took us 4 hours to start my dad's XLT one day. We took the base drains out, and the fuel just poured out. Just an FYI.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that is sounding a little familiar.... was running pretty hard through the ditches to the house from the trail.... down a slight decline on the road about a 1/4 mile to the house. then started popping pulling into the driveway... shut her off. popped and spit some trying to get her up on the trailer.

thanks for the info.

tj
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check plug caps, until recently Polaris used a hard plastic NGK plug cap with a rubber grommet around it. Their contacts get loose up inside and will cause missfires especially on bumpy trails. They can be replaced easily and you may want to upgrade to the all rubber style used on the 700s, they just screw onto the end of the wire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode