want to improve my Indy Trailsupsension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

want to improve my Indy Trailsupsension

The suspension on my 1991 Indy Trail sucks - it has about 2 inches of travel and can't support my weight. I've tightened all of the possible adjustments but I'm still running original shocks. The sled has about 4000 miles on it and runs strong. Can anyone tell me what suspension will fit this sled to give me additional travel and support?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: want to improve my Indy Trailsupsension

Why not try NEW GAS SHOCKS,new shocks will help out immensilly,

In 91 you should have 8" of travel,BTW i have the specs for it,I had an 91 Indy500 it has the same suspension as yours and I weigh 250 Lbs and it rarely bottom out!I just sold it last month.

Today sleds have suspensions with 10" travel while your Trail has 8" travel not much dif as you can see,If you maintain a sled by putting new gas shocks will help quite a bit.

I weigh 250 and have a hard time bottomming out,get some new RYDE FX shocks and you will notice an immediat improvement in ride GUARANTEED.

Punch Da Throttle and ROOST!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 02:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

After 9 years and 4000 miles it is time for new shocks and new springs. All told it's gonna cost you a couple hundred bucks to get a fairly decent suspension. If you're fairly good with tools, a late model Xtra 10 will bolt in with moving both the front and rear mounting brackets.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~mhbs/Moore...owmobile1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the feedback. The advice on the shocks and springs is a definite need.

About the xtra-10.... One guy told me to shop for a '96 xtra-10 or later. Does that sound right to you? Also, when moving the mounting plates - what's involved? Is this something which requires a high degree of accuracy to avoid track alignment problems, etc? How do I determine new mounting locations? Rather than make this your problem, do you know a source of materials/instructions for making these kind of modifications?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're probably right - shocks are no doubt in order. Still, I'd like the travel. I like to ride hard and I too carry a little weight so I'm thinking the upgrade can't hurt. Although someone said if I upgrade the track suspension, it will alter the dynamics on the front suspension. Whatdayathink?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 01:09 PM
Matt M38A1

My buddy and I put a 98 xc Xtra 10 rear suspension an his 92 RXL this summer. We removed the rear mounting plate in order to move it forward. You don't necessarily have to do this, but doing so give you 2x thickness of aluminum. You have to have the front and rear mounts almost exactly
23 1/2 inches apart (i think, it's been 6 months). Otherwise the x-10 binds, and does not work. We found this out the hard way. We had been comparing to my 96, but Polaris had made subtle bulkhead changes when going to the x-10. Two extra holes in the chassis later we got it, and he loves it. there is a couple articles on off-road.com that discusses this, with all the necessary info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode