92 rxl questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

92 rxl questions

just bought a 92 rxl with 5300 miles on it even though my friends said not to . are these sleds a real headache?
sled had set for 2 years out side and we put a battery in it and it fired the first pull . havent checked compression yet but it felt as good or better than my 93 xlt special with 2500 miles on it . just found this place and it is a wealth of info .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:03 AM
Matt M38A1

Re: 92 rxl questions

Mustang-
You got a good machine as far as I'm concerned. I have a 1990 indy 650, and the motor is flawless after 6400 miles. My buddy has a 92 RXL with pipes a chip and a clutch kit. Usually mods mean only trouble but he has never had a problem. In fact he is so content with it that we put an Xtra 10 suspension under it this summer.

You want to make sure when you kill it that you shut the key off as well. The ignition/fuel pump will stay hot otherwise, and will drain the battery. My buddy found that out the hard way! The only other trouble I know of that he has had was that it dropped an injector once. No big deal, If i remember it wasn't that expensive to have fixed. Also, it has a cold idle circuit, and it(at least my friends) doesn't like to move at all until after a couple minutes of warm up. So don't think you've fouled any plugs until after you let it idle for a bit. They will foul plugs though, My buds dad has a 92 RXL SKS, and it did foul even after the warm up. Just changed 'em out and it was fine.

The only other thing I can think of would go for any machine. 5300 miles, has it had a rebuild? If not you may need a top end within a couple years. Also, have the clutches been gone through? Check the primary rollers for flat spots, rust. If the rollers seize or wear out their bushings, and the clutch starts to bind you could be in for big money. I rebuilt my clutches this summer, for less than 60 bucks for both. Finally, just idler wheels and bearings? They're cheap enough.

Have fun, they get great mileage I think you'll like it. I'm considering getting a 1995 one as my backup machine.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 01:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the input matt . i checked the rollers and found some bad bearings and greased the suspension . the fly wheel side jug was 8lbs. lower on the comp. that the other 2 . my friend and i rode today . i was on my 93xlt spec. and he rode the 92 rxl . it was about 35deg f. out and i think the rxl pulls stronger than my 93 xlt . iknow that efi cars usally make more torque down low so i can only asume that it would be the same for snowmobiles .

thanks again ,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 05:23 PM
Matt M38A1

Don't worry about the 8 lbs, it should be OK.

Also, the RXL pulls/runs faster because it's a 650. The XLT is a 580! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Those bearings are cheap enough, get em replaced and save yourself a little gas. Have Fun!!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

one more question . what mods can i do to this sled since it has efi ?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 08:04 AM
Matt M38A1

My friend's has a set of pipes on it. I think they come with a computer chip to make the appropriate adjustments, or you have to get it separately. His also has a clutch kit on it as well. I would guess you can pretty much do anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode