93' Indy 500 EFI Question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

93\' Indy 500 EFI Question?

What all does it take to remove all the EFI components and
replace with regular Carbs. Is it just a matter of getting 2 Classic Carbs, Fuel Pump, Throttle Cable or is there more to it than that. I'm Currently having problems with the ECU (I think?) In really cold days my sled runs Great. But in Warmer days, it Runs like Sh#$. I don't know what to do. What do you Guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 93\' Indy 500 EFI Question?

How do you know the carbs aren't set too rich. On colds days a carb naturally runs leaner because air is denser (engine gets more air per stroke). EFI doesn't change timing, as far as I know. I would lower the center pin in the carbs, which is your mid speed mixture, two notches and see if it runs better. You have to change the main jet if it run bad at high speeds too.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply, I hope your right, this is what happens: the sled Starts and Ideals just fine (normal), but right when you increase throttle to go it bogs downs and acts like its Frozen it won't more and will quit if you don't let up, but when you let up it Ideals jsut fine again...

The only way to get going is to punch it all the way, wait a couple seconds and then hang on it's balls to the walls..
But still won't cruse at 10-30 mph with out jerking back and forth just a little.

Once you get it to 40-50 mph it runs fine. You can punch it and it will go like a bat out of hell..

I don't understand. Could it be something like, a Temp. sensor, an injector is bad, or maybe just bad gas.
I know nothing about sleds, except I love to ride....

Maybe I'll just take it to Dealer and spend the Cash...

Thanks for you Help,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 10:06 AM
snownut

Woldy, I recommend taking your sled in yearly to have the computer and sensors hooked up and checked for calibration. My daughter rides a 92' and as long as the battery is up to par (changed at least every other year, if not yearly), it is a great sled. The throttle cable length has to be in specification, and all the sensors need to be working properly or you won't be happy with it. I can typically get a dealer to check it out for $30-$40. For a yearly expense, it's not too bad of deal. I as well change the battery yearly, the one time I didn't it seemed to not run very well. I think the system needs the full voltage to operate at peak performance.

Snownut

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go ahead and adjust that mid speed mixture. It sure sounds like thats what it is. Mid speed mixture is easy to adjust. Just unscrew the the top of the carbs (this the side) the big cap nut the throttle cable goes into. Pull the side out. The long needle sicking out the bottom of the side is the mid speed mixture needle. This needle comes out by pulling the spring out the side and then removing the plate that is at the bottom of the which the spring was pushing against. Push the needle out. You will a c-clip on the needle. Carefully move the clip up two or three positions and put all back together.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Snownut and Rayabcde, I'll Work on it...
Have a Good Day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode