Older Style Fuel Pump Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 03:24 PM
Zooman

Older Style Fuel Pump Question

Can anyone tell me how an older style fuel pump works?
It is on a 1973 polaris. It has twin cylinders and carbs.
And how do I check it to see if it is working?
Thanks

Zooman

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=blue>78 Chevy 3/4 in the rough</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:54 AM

Re: Older Style Fuel Pump Question

The fuel pump works the same way as the new ones. There is an impulse line from the crankcase that attaches to the pump which actually is what makes the thing pump fuel. There is another line that comes from the gas tank and there are two other fuel lines that go to the carbs. The best way to check is to start the motor and then pull one of the fuel hoses off one of the carbs and let it pump into a tin. You should get a fairly steady stream of gas out of it with an idle speed of 2000 rpm. If you can't start the engine then make sure the hoses to the fuel pump are all good including the impulse line hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump. Also put in a new fuel filter while you're at it. If you are having trouble with the pump just buy a pump rebuild kit from a dealer and rebuild it. It just has a few diaphrams and gaskets inside so nothing too technical.

"Sled till you're dead"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:04 AM
Zooman

There are all new hoses and a new fuel filter on the sled.
I pulled the feul pump off and there is a little opening at the back of it and there is a little opening in the motor where the fuel pump bolts on to. Is this right?
I am going to try to get a hold of a rebuild kit for the carb today.
Thanks for the help

Zooman

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=blue>78 Chevy 3/4 in the rough</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:02 PM

Yes some of those bolted right on to the impulse opening in the crankcase. There should be an o-ring at that point to enable good sealing.

"Sled till you're dead"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 03:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On the older fuji engines (Polaris) they went right to the motor, Make sure that the bottom end of the motor isn't full
of gas by the way. the coils on these are junk, we used to have constant problems with the oem ones. I ended up
using a set of motorcycle ones and never had another problem. In the fuel pump there should be (I think)
two small valves (Made out of coated cloth) that need to fit well, and check the diaphrams that there are no wear
holes in them either. Good luck, make sure you crank seals are good too.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:42 AM
Zooman

Yesterday I put the rebuilt kit into my fuel pump and I today I pulled the engine over about 40 times and still no gas past the feul pump. With the rebuild kit there was two smaller diaphrams like wildweasel said, but I did not put the new ones in because they where just little circles of plastic.
Could this still be the problem. I am kicking my self in the ass now for not changeing these now.
Also should there be a inline primer in the fuel line??
How do I check the crank case seals?
I really appreciate the help guys!!
Thanks

Zooman

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:44 AM
Zooman

I forgot to mention that I was unable to get a new oring and paper gasket to use where the pump mounts to engine.

Zooman

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:50 AM

Just curious if you have had the carbs off yet to make sure everything is okay inside. I was thinking if the inlet needle and seat is all plugged up in the carbs it's not going to let the fuel pump push any fuel. Try removing the fuel lines at the carbs and pull it over a few times to see if any fuel flows.

"Sled till you're dead"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i beleive the only way to check the crank seals is to visualy inspect them hope this helps good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode