rxl help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

rxl help

i have a 95 polaris rxl 650 (efi). i took it in to the shop and they looked it over.they adjusted the clutch and weight and lubed it up. its still a dog. at full throttle it does about 85 mph, it only has 2900 miles on it. it also uses about a quart of oil per half tank?? can any one give me some advice on what to look at or look for?? this thing should fly, but it doesn't. is the oil consumption about right or is that too much. is there and adjustment i need to make?? any one with any info, PLEASE share it with me.

derek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 01:25 PM
Matt M38A1

Re: rxl help

Belt worn?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe plugged fuel filter, or Bad sensor some where and the computer is compensating. I've seen my buddy's do 95 with TWO people on it, so something is definetly up. Did the shop check the computer to see if it was putting out error codes?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, they replaced the belts, i checked the comp and no codes, im running injector cleaner through it, de-icer, high octane fuel. i dont think its as simple as adding more weight to the back?? im at a loss here, i have no clue what the problem is. with a 120hp(i think) it should do well over a hundred. my only real concern is it uses alot of oil?? have any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 03:21 PM
Matt M38A1

Ummm...Oil consumption. Check the oil valve arm. The design hasn't changed much over the years, and I just put a new throttle cable on this summer and had to adjust that oil cable myself. I know it's a bitch but take the airbox off and have a look at the timing marks on the arm and pump. On carb sleds they line up at no throttle and then again at wide open throttle. Yours may be set such that it's flowing alot of oil even at low throttle levels.

The other thing to check is all the oil lines and pump seals, vent lines, tank for cracks, maybe you're losing it not burning it. Are you fouling plugs? If not then this may be the case.

You're right about the power, you should be able to get 110 without a problem. My buds will turn the needle all the way around. He's piped and chipped though. But my stock carb 650 got 110 last year soooo.....

are you the original owner? If not did the previous owner mess with the gearing and take it off stock?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree on gearing stock was likely 20-37 or so. With no codes set your going to have to keep looking. God forbid but you may want to check piston skirts. Also oil pump on these machines inject at 100:1 at an idle and then change to 40:1 at half thottle. This equates to 16 oz of oil per 5 gal of fuel or 1 quart per 10 gal. While you have the butterfly assembly off checking the piston skirts check pump adjustment. There is a hash mark on the pump that should line up with one on the lever with no pull on the thottle lever (at idle), adjust accordingly. If a little rich don't worry about it .. better safe than burned down.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hoe do you get the code out of it?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 08:18 AM
Matt M38A1

There's a light somewhere on the edge of the box someplace that flashes out codes.

FYI my buddy had an injector go bad on his 92, and he got a bad bog. I haven't read your post but I know you say it's flooding, I'd start with testing the integrity of the injectors. You may be in a situation that only the dealer can help you with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode