Studding a 98 XC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Studding a 98 XC

I am planning to stud a 98 Polaris XC 600. I would appreciate anyone's advise or experience with this sled?
Need tunnel protectors or change size of idler wheels? Make, length, and number of studs? Any tips or points?

Your help is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Studding a 98 XC

I have the same sled. Tunnel protectors should be fine stock. I ran 96 Stud Boy push-throughs with steel backers down the middle of the track. Keep the studs out of the outside belts if you ride hard, track damage can occur very easily. It will hook up above 25-30 MPH on glare ice. Anything below that, you will just make gouges in it. Helps a lot with braking at all speeds. I would never ride without studs myself. Frinds tell me 144 won't do anymore than 96, so save some money there. Just went with repeating V pattern. Let's see if I can duplicate it.
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ever consider a 1 1/4" track opposed to studs? Several of my friends have gone this route. All their rides hook up mint, and they kick ass through deep snow too. I'm planning on one for my XCR. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll tell you what, I'll line up next to your friend with his 1.25" non-studded track and we'll go down an icy road 100 MPH and then try to stop 100 ft. before we come to a highway and see if he hooks up mint then. Studs have saved my life on icy trails so many times, I would never ride without them. All a 1.25" is good for is snowy trails and with the lack of snow everywhere lately, studs are certainly a necessity.

1989 S15 extended cab 4x4, 3" body, 31x10.50 BFG A/T KO, 15x8 American Racing hig polish aluminum rims, 1998 4.3 Vortec and much, much more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode