'97 Ultra Spx - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'97 Ultra Spx

My 1997 ultra is bogging down at about 5500 RPM, and I get what I think is bad gas milage around 60-70 miles per tank. Any suggestions for the problems, or are they common?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'97 Ultra Spx

Need more info to help. Possibilities are clutch problems, too rich of carb jetting, bad belt, electrical problem. Need to know how many miles on the sled and if it has any clutch maint. done.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~mhbs/Moore...owmobile1.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 07:42 AM
Matt M38A1

While your looking at it to answer Frank' question take a quick look at the primary for cracks in the moveable sheave. When you give the info Frank asked for we'll be able to help better. I just replaced the primary on my Ultra, and rebuilt the secondary so I know what you're going through!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just went over both clutches, and tightend the spring on the secondary clutch, it made a little difference in the engine bog, don't yet know about the milage difference. I worked on the carbs earlier this week and have yet to see if the tweaking makes a big difference. This weekend I'll get after it and see how is runs. Thanks for the response and if you can think of anything to help the milage and sluggish throttle response let me know please. Keep on truckin'!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 07:29 AM
Matt M38A1

Let me ask- Did you get the carbs synchronized while you were going through them?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did go through and sync. the carbs last weekend and will give them a whirl next week. Thanks for the help and if any of you run staggered jets on your three cylinder ultras let me know please.
let it snow!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I gor a 96 ultra rmk with psi pipes. Havn't had any snow to try it yet. how did you syncronize your carbs.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 08:27 AM
Matt M38A1

Hey F14 you could be seeing that Bog due to your carbs synching. I've been told by a former Polaris mechaninc to not synch them with a synch tool, but rather to do it manually. Here's a copy of that post:

Subject Re: Carb adjustments.
Posted by ExcursionPSD (stranger )
Posted on 7/7/00 02:27 PM
From IP 169.207.115.48

96 Ultra SP is the 680cc reed-valved single piped version of the 96 600 XCR SP triple pipe that I own. You have three 38mm mikuni slide valves with individual cables going to a cable box under the hood. DO NOT do a uni-synch (flow-type) sysnchonization! Polaris found out that synchronizing the flow at idle with reed-valve three cylinders witch expansion chambers, will not give synchronization off idle. You must do a mechanical synchronization.

1. get the air box off, carbs in proper place and have throttle cables secured approximately where they would be when the air box is is in place (different bends of the cables will change synchronization.

2. make sure the carb caps are all hand tight on the top of the carbs, (as they would be in normal operation)

3. Back off all the idle stop screws and let the throttle slides hang from the cables (inside the body of course)

4. Back off each lock nut on the cable adjusters on the carb caps. make sure the cable adjusters turn freely

5. use approximately a 1/4" piece of smooth rod or smooth drill shank (even the stamped numbering can goof you up) and slide this in the bottom of the throttle opening and then by turning the cable adjusters, adjust the bottom edge, air box side, of the throttle valve, until it just squeezes the 1/4" rod. try sliding the rod in and out slightly and you will find it easy to tell when it first gets squeezed by the throttle valve.

6. Do this to all three carbs and you now have the throttle valves synchronized to each other. snug down the cable adjuster locknuts temporarily.

7. Now go up one size in rod (17/64) and do the same concept except adjust the idle stop screws to raise the throttle valves, to squeeze the rod. You now have the idle stop screws synchronized.

8. From this point on adjust the cable adjusters together (count the number of flats or turns when adjusting) also the idle stop screws together (count the turns) and they WILL STAY SYNCHRONIZED.

9. You have to reinstall the airbox, refasten the throttle cables in position, adjust idle speed (after starting and warming the engine), adjust throttle cable slack (should be about .030 play at the trigger throttle) final tighten the cable adjuster locknuts.

I am a Polaris certified master snowmobile mechanic, I know this is the right way to do it, it works.

I did mine this summer this way, and it seems to have worked out great. I've got some snow on the ground, now I can test it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I read the carb syncro setup for the ultra spx and my sled idle at like 3500 rpm the slide are at 5/32. and moving them up to 17/64 is too high. I think it is different for the RMK model. What are they talking about with expansion chambers. I think I could probably use the uni-syncr

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 08:03 AM
Matt M38A1

Curtis- 17/64 is not an absolute value, it's just so you can set all three slides at the same hight. After that you adjust down by evenly turning the adjustments. Re-read the post, print it if you have to. It took me about an hour to make all my adjustments, and I am amazed at the throttle response. I'm not sure what he was talking about with regards to the expansion chambers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode