2001 800 RMK goes pop! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2001 800 RMK goes pop!

Just got off the phone with a freind with 2001 RMK 800 twin stock set up.He rode fourty miles then blew a hole in one of his pistons.This is the fifth sled this season for our local dealer that has done that. Maybe Yamaha isn't so stupid for not jumping on the big twin band wagon. I'll stick with my 700 triple MM thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mine works great!

Sounds like either jetting or ignition timing with one thing in common with all of them, the dealer. actually smells like bull**** to me. could it be that these sleds are being ridden at lower elevations than intended. if so the dealer should have rejetted them before delivery. mine is not yet broke in but many my dealer has sold are and the jetting for the stock sled appears to be very close for our 5000 to 8000 feet of elevation.

Visit our homepage at
http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
check pictures/snowmobiling
Have 1999 600 RMK for sale!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2001 800 RMK goes pop!

Sounds like the local dealer needs to change his setup real fast!

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

These sleds are being ridden on flat land Saskatchewan.My freind was told that if he wants to avoid this problem riding it here he may have to go with a thicker head gasket .For some reason the compression is to high for here
althogh you would think if it was jetted right it would not matter

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually it makes a huge difference. The 800RMK has a head cut for compression at altitude above 5000 feet. If you ride it at lower altitudes you had better run some av-gas, race gas or put a lower compression head on. Detonation will kill the motor no matter what jetting they are running.

Dealer didn't know this? If it was me I would find a different dealer.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 06:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why are you guys buying mountain sleds in Sask. anyways? Just curious

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We only live about 600 miles from the rockies. But to tell you the truth the south east corner of Sask. has between
2.5 and 4 feet of snow depending where you go. I don't know any details about the local dealer but it just goes to show it doesn't matter what sled you have if you don't know how to set it up or your dealer doesn't you can be in serious trouble. I stiil think time will tell about these big twins. I was told Polaris increased compression on this years 800 because last years wasn't much of an improvement over the 700 . I was also told the 800 summit isn't much better than the 700. You all know how rumors go though ?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 2001 800 rmk head when installed on my ported and piped 00 800 rmk netted 165psi of cranking compression. This is way out of limits for most peoples finances (you have to run 114 or better gas) If you have the 01 800 and ride art sea level, you can get the 00 800 head and top cooling hose for about 160.00 us. I bought the 01 head for mine for 103.00 prior to buying dial a domes to cut compression back to 145 and offer some flexibility in the fuel dept. Putting last years head on the 01 will still produce at least 128.9 h.p. because mine did over 4 consecutive runs on the dyno last year. This will also solve the burn down and holeing of pistons. remember that the needles are leaner on the 01 and the jetting will also be different. later

stracer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode